What's new

Drying out creams?

I recently acquired a tub of dried out cream (TOBS shave shoppe). As it happens, I quite like it...it's kinda like cella. I'm wondering how long it would take to do this to a new tub of cream?

Any ideas? Anyone else prefer it this way?

I had some Edwin Jagger Seabuckthorn that I bought brand new. I did not touch it for almost a couple of years and it was dried out. It would come back to life when I added water but it was never the same as fresh. I only stock up on soaps nowadays.

There was a B+B science project last year to see how long it would take to turn a tube of Proraso into a cake of soap, if I recall it took months and months but was ultimately successful

I seem to remember this too. I suppose a dehumidifier or a dehydrator can be used to speed up the process. Oh technology :wink2:

Al raz.

There was a B+B science project last year to see how long it would take to turn a tube of Proraso into a cake of soap, if I recall it took months and months but was ultimately successful

I got a great Puk out of Nivea cream in 2 weeks...
Barbon , the Hungarian gem, was not really hard over the same period,,,,

Tam

I had some Edwin Jagger Seabuckthorn that I bought brand new. I did not touch it for almost a couple of years and it was dried out. It would come back to life when I added water but it was never the same as fresh. I only stock up on soaps nowadays.

That makes sense, actually, as there are essential oils which will evaporate, un-saponified oils that will react with oxygen and other factors that could adversely affect the shave. The "basic soap" of the cream would remain intact like in a bar of soap, but because it's not compressed like a bar of soap, the "goodies" inside can more easily "evaporate"/"oxidize".

I notice that heat seems to have an effect on some soaps - Proraso, WARS and Spieck, and to a lesser extent, Musgo, all in tubes solidified when it got hot in NYC this summer. Ingrams blue label, the one made in the UK, on the other hand liquified and I can now pour it out of the tube without squeezing the tube at all. They all work fine - the Spieck, I put in a shaving cup, let it dry out, and it works fine as a soap. The WARS and Proraso, I just soak a shave's worth in hot water with the brush and it dissolves fairly well. The Ingrams, I just pour onto the brush and lather normally.

Top Bottom