What's new

newbie needs recommendation practical shaving kit

want to switch away from disposables. Please help me with some of your knowledgeable guidance.

quick
don't need super close
practical (cleaning if it makes a difference)
don't care about beauty of razor
? any criteria I'm missing

Here's my tally so fare
Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
Bay Rum Colonel Conk World's Famous Shaving Soap
DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice
razor?

I'm seeing a lot of beginner gillette tech or super speed recs. Do I get these on ebay? Which model do I buy (so many decades)? How would you clean it? Do I need to be worried much about condition?

Thanks.

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to Badger and Blade! You will find a generous and supportive community of wet-shaving affcianados who love to share their passion. Personally I would not try getting my first razor off of ebay, there are better prices and service on the BST forum right here. If you are adventrous and live in an area that has antique stores, you might consider going out and finding one yourself. That can be very rewarding, although you may end up with razor aquisition disorder (RAD):wink2:

You really can't go wrong with a Gillette Super Speed or Tech. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 10 dollars for one, unless it was in exceptional condition with a case.

Good luck!

Andrew

welcome to B&B...try these these two, tech and super speed:001_tt1:

Attachments

• $1304111811_108288388_6-1940-Gillette-Gold-Tech-Safety-Razor-in-Original-Case-United-States.jpg
    $1304111811_108288388_6-1940-Gillette-Gold-Tech-Safety-Razor-in-Original-Case-United-States.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 92
  • $IMGP3547.jpg
    $IMGP3547.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 93
As a Super Speed goes, my personal recommendation is the 40s era as depicted in the picture above. You really can't go wrong with any of them though; they're cheap enough that you could buy one of each and not break the bank. I'm partial to Super Speeds, but Techs give good shaves as well.

not really concerned about amazing price, I just want a quick buy with minimized snafu probability since I'm new.

how about this super speed?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...per-Speed-and-soap-lot.?highlight=super+speed

and both tech's here?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Ring-Techs-Super-Speeds?highlight=super+speed

Honestly, at that price I would buy the both. They're both great deals, but everyone ends up having different preferences for what kind of razor best suits them. Until you hold a razor in your hand and apply it to your face you'll never know if one style works better for you than the other.

And if you stick around here for a few months you'll be eligible to sell items on the BST and you can unload whichever one you don't want for about what you paid for it.
Or you'll be like everyone else here, keep both, and buy a dozen more :)

Thanks All.

I got a ss 40s and tech ordered. We'll see how it goes. Will probably have follow up questions once I get my hands on em.

Bob, i'd recommend AGAINST the col conk. go to the mall, bath and body works sells CO Bigeleo shave cream. It's a GREAT cream, very slick and cushioning. It's a lot easier to lather up then a glycerin soap like the conk.

I second the C.O. Bigelow. It has easily topped my list of favorites now and it's readily available at most malls.

P.S. Let me know how you like the tech. Give my baby a good home now ;)

VDH soap is available for less than $2 at grocery stores and combined with CO Bigelow from Bath and Body Works is easy for a beginner. I'm only three weeks in and can get a great lather and shave from these products with the cheap boar brush from CVS.

Top Bottom