What's new

Arko Vs Palmolive stick

I love both soaps. Over the past three or so years of wet shaving they are the soaps I have used the most. And they are my number one and two favorite soaps without any doubt.

Picking a winner is very hard for me :001_unsur. Arko both applies and lathers easier. Which is due to its larger diameter and softer consistency I think. While Palmolive makes a lather that I find a tiny bit richer.

If I had to choose it would be Palmolive by the narrowest of margins. Mainly because of its exclusive characteristic to stay moist on the face for a long time compared to other soaps.

They both work for me.
I cut them up into little circles and layer them in my shaving mug.
A couple weeks Palmolive, a week of Palmolive/Arko mix, a couple weeks Arko.
The Palmolive/Arko mix is a little wild on the scent, but performs great.

They are both in my rotation and will remain there as my inventory seams nowhere near close to being depleted.

A case and a half of Arko and 5 Palmolive. You should try them both.

Probably because I started with Arko and loved it, after reading quite a lot of raves about Palmolive my expectations were even higher and I have to admit that when I finally got to try the Palmolive stick I was underwhelmed. Even now, after quite a few shaves with each, I still have to give the Arko stick the nod on quality of lather and, yes, even scent.

And maybe it's comparing apples and, I dunno, applesauce, but I find that the Palmolive cream impresses me more than their stick.

I am biased on this one. I have only used Palmolive of the two and love the performance of this stick. I do plan on getting a stick of Arko, keep hearing great things about it!

I am in the same situation, except that I'm an Arko man. Only this morning, I had my first shave with Palmolive. I did enjoy it, only the Arko makes more lather. But I'm going to work with it, since I do this every morning.

Hate to muddy the waters, but while people are coming here to talk about shave sticks I just recently heard about a Wilkinson shave stick. Anyone tried it and know how it compares to Arko or Palmolive.

Never tried the Arko so I can't compare but I dug out the Palmolive this morning and I'd forgotten just how good it is!

I'm not a fan of shave sticks except for travel so I'd grated two 49p sticks into an old TOBS tub and it makes a great lather.

Must use it more often. I rate it as highly as any of the fancy expensive soaps.

Gareth

Personally I use both!

In winters I like Palmolive and its more moisturizing effect and warmer scent. Come summers I love Arko for its slight drying effect and its lighter lemony smell.

Matter of fact these are the only two soaps I have stuck with, so I guess either way... I win!

Jay

Bought the Arko with some hesitation after all the talk about the dubious smell. Had a Palmolive stick already. I like both - but I prefer Arko for the quality of the lather and the lovely smell! I like the clean citrus smell which I find fresh and less "cloying" than some of the more expensive brands. Palmolive also smells nice and creamy in an old fashioned way. Both give good shaves. Love the Arko packaging - but both have to be redeployed for use. Palmolive goes into a Boots shave stick container (slots straight in - I chucked the Boots soap in the bin where it belonged!), Arko gets pushed into an old twist up deodorant holder which does the job perfectly. I got some Tabac and D R Harris Arlington for Christmas - and find them both a bit unappealing. Tabac is a real challenge for my olfactory bulb - but seems to be fading a bit now that its open: I doubt I'll get any more, but the lather is good. The Arlington is a bit bland, but again good lather. A case of YMMV, I know. At the price, both Arko and Palmolive should be tried at least once - chuck them if you don't like them, but at least you'll know. Shame there is no soap sampler a bit like the blade sampler - it is such a personal thing.

I love my arko! In all fairness though, I've never tried Palmolive........since I can't purchase anything until 2013, guess I'm outta luck, unless somebody has wayyyy tooooo muchhhhhh and needs to PIF a stick ;). I didn't see any rules about PIF's!

I am about half way through a stick of Palmolive and I think that it is a great soap, but the delivery system is for s _ _ t. To use it as a stick for face lathering, I always get my fingers around the base of the stick as well as the dinky plastic holder. The fact that it does not have a completely enclosed container also makes it worthless for traveling.

My current favorite is Ogallala which lathers at least as well and has a nice package (kind of like a solid deodorant with a screw-up system on the bottom of the container) and at $4.75 for 2.5 ounces versus $3.75 for 50 grams (1.76 ounces) of Palmolive, it is a real deal!

For what it's worth, I love shave sticks and cannot imagine grating them down to use like a soap puck. Give it a try - you will like it!

You may like Honeybee Soaps shave sticks then, Bob. They come in a deodorant-type container, are 2.5 oz. and cost $6 plus shipping. Honeybee sticks (at least the one I tried for the B&B pass-around) lather easily and feel good on the skin. Unfortunately their site wasn't working early yesterday morning so I was unable to order any. Maybe next month I will get to order a stick myself.

As for the original subject, I think Arko wins by a nose but Palmolive is better for traveling as it is more durable and won't squish and deform in my dopp kit. I just ordered four Palmolive sticks yesterday morning for eight pounds (about $12), so I think that and my statement above proves that I do like both brands.

Legion

Staff member
I use both. Palmolive is slightly richer, and therefore better IMO, but they are both solid performers and great value.

Palmolive.

Just ordered and received a stick of Arko. Whoa, I couldn't get over the smell. Terrible. I tried a test lather, luckily with my Tweezerman, and could not wash the scent off my hands, or my brush! Straight to the bin. Worst scent ever. I soaked my brush in vinegar for two hours, the scent would not leave! I will take Williams over Arko every time!
(No doubt it lathers better than Williams, but I will never get over the scent.)

Top Bottom