What's new

Aggressive Merkur 12C

With reference to another thread where shims were mentioned for making the 12C more aggressive I am doing a little experiment with used stainless DE blades. Thanks to Fritz for the idea from this other thread. I used tin snips to slice the edge from a stainless feather blade which shows to be .004 thousands thick. I think the used blades provide a solid and wiggle free shim for this idea with the proper slots already cut into the shim. The shim can provide a more aggressive shave if desired on most any tech type shaver.
Disclaimer: This should only be tried by professionals who understand that blood could result from carelessness. :shaving:

bj

With reference to another thread where shims were mentioned for making the 12C more aggressive I am doing a little experiment with used stainless DE blades. Thanks to Fritz for the idea from this other thread. I used tin snips to slice the edge from a stainless feather blade which shows to be .004 thousands thick. I think the used blades provide a solid and wiggle free shim for this idea with the proper slots already cut into the shim. The shim can provide a more aggressive shave if desired on most any tech type shaver.
Disclaimer: This should only be tried by professionals who understand that blood could result from carelessness. :shaving:

bj
Great idea! And you're right, the proper holes are already there!
The normal gap is half the blade thickness, so adding one blade shim moves it from 2 mils to 6 mils, or 0.05 mm to 0.15 mm. 3 times, either way.
I'm guessing, but I think 3 blades would be about right (for a maximum).:thumbup1:

I have only tried one shave so far with one shim and could tell little difference. I will try one more shim to see if I can tell a difference. I am moving cautiously on this for obvious reasons.

bj

I had my second shave today with 2 shims and probably will not add any more at this time. I examined the gap between the open comb and the blade and noticed little difference from one to two shims. I also noticed that the edge of the top cap where it touches the blade is closer at the edge than the center. I then put the shims next to the top cap instead of the handle and the gap widened. I then shaved and really noticed a difference in aggressiveness. This was my second shave with the Treet Blue and had my first BBS shave [no styptic pencil]. I will be using this combo in the future a lot.

bj

Top Bottom