What's new

How much do you order on line and why?

I used to buy all my fishing and outdoor gear at local stores. I recently wanted a new trolling motor and decided to give the local store a shot. The staff could not answer any questions and after considerable time looking they did not have the motor that I wanted. I came home and found the motor that I wanted for 100.00 less with free shipping and no tax.
I really want to support the local economy, but it is becoming more difficult. It is easier to do the research on line and then order the item. I found the same thing with Tilley hats, I wanted to actually see one and when I went to a local store,they had 2 hats, neither one in my size. I have even found this with Cabelas and Gander Mountain. I was wondering how common my experience is?

I have found that over the years I order more and more stuff online. When I was younger we used to have a lot of sporting goods stores around but now they are few and far between and the quality isn't great. I think the sporting goods store is going the way of the barber shop. When I was a kid it seems like guys hung out at the stores and swapped stories and bs. There was always coffee or soda available and they made you feel welcome. Now the 2 stores that are still around make you feel like you are bothering them if you come in to buy something. I asked one guy about a rapala xrap a few years ago and he said "some people like them, you can take your chance with one but I wouldn't expect too much." Not what I would call a great sales pitch. I usually just keep a list of things I want and when I get enough to qualify for free shipping I order from an online retailer. Cabela's is about 2 hours away and Gander Mountain is 45 minutes away so I save the drive and the disappointment when they don't have what I wanted. I thought about opening up my own store with my dad but it seems like it would put a serious crimp in our time outdoors.

I live in a small town of about 20,000. My general rule is if I can find something locally I will buy it even if it costs me more. I will even have some businesses special order and wait just so I can keep my money in the community. That said, unfortunately because of the small size I often just can't find the item I want locally, in that case I will order online or pick it up in Las Vegas when I make a trip up.

Jay

I order everything I can online, generally better prices even when postage is taken into consideration.
Being able to shop any time day or night is a bonus and also going shopping in one's pajamas is generally frowned upon :001_smile

The only thing I normally buy on line are ebooks from Amazon. I prefer brick and mortar stores. I like to see what I am buying.

If you are talking shaving gear, then I would say 95%+. The only thing I have near me are major chain stores. As to other things, it is a mixed bag. Gernerally, the more expense or specialized an item is, the more likely I am to research it, and buy it, online. It's funny, in some cases I have found the item online cheaper than it is in the same merchant's brick and mortar store. For example, I have found books online at Barnes & Nobles.com cheaper then the exact same title at the walk in store. It seems to me this practice is self-defeating and will enventually kill the retail site.

I usually buy locally, unless what I want is unavailable locally.

Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop do pretty good for most of my needs. We used to have a Galyan's here, and they were awesome, but Dick's Sporting Goods took them over. If we also had an REI here, that would be just about perfect.

So long as the price isn't grossly over that of what I find online and they have what I want, I will shop locally. The problem with certain hobbies of mine (shooting) is that I invariably get disgusted with the "advice" salespeople give.

I buy a lot of things online, but usually only if it satisfies two criteria:

1) unavailable locally
2) it's a small canadian business (either the product or the vendor. preferably both.)

I prefer to do it that way because customer service is easier when there are no strange shipping restrictions (especially on things like knives, axes, etc.) in case you need to return it for whatever reason.

For hunting goods, it depends on what it is. Guns are local, because it is less trouble. Most of my hunting clothes are local too. Ammo, I occasionally get online because the selection is better (nobody sells high grade 22 here, and because we don't have a rifle deer season here, my 30-06 ammo of choice is hard to come by). I got my last rod and reel at a local sporting goods store too, as they were a similar price to online for the reel, the rod was a steal on clearance, and they put 6lb test on it free. If you go for the older guys in the gun dept and fishing department at my local Scheels, they tend to be pretty knowledgeable (as are some of the younger folks too).

For other hobbies, the local selection is pretty poor, so I mostly go online. I recently ordered some swimming stuff from swimoutlet, because nobody in town had jack, and what they had was expensive. Fountainpen stuff is exclusively online, ditto for watches, and of course shaving gear.

I buy most of my stuff online. I've also tried to find something locally many times and had to go to 4 or 5 stores and still not get it. I've even started buying clothes online, I really hate shopping for clothes. Shopping online even makes Xmas shopping much less of a chore, and you can get better gifts.

Most of my sporting goods I buy locally. There are enough different B&M stores here that prices are usually pretty competitive. I would love to support the little mom and pop gun stores but every single one I've been to the employees range from aloof to full out gun store commando hostile. I understand supporting local businesses but if they don't make customers feel wanted screw 'em. So I usually end up at Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Other stuff depends on the product. Most electronics and computer stuff I buy online. Home goods I usually buy locally. Office supplies depend on the urgency -- if I plan ahead then I order online, usually at amazon. If I need something right away though I'll hit a local store. Obviously shaving stuff is almost entirely online.

I too live in a small town... so, I pretty much order EVERYTHING on line because its not available locally!

Usually costs less and is delivered to my door. Whats not to like.

Tom

Almost anything interesting I have to buy online, because it's too hard to get exactly what you want locally. Even things you theoretically CAN get locally may have excessive delays, very long drives, or extortionist prices, in which case I'll go online for those too.

I wish it wasn't this way. I wish I could walk into a local store and buy these things there, but the place doesn't exist. I feel like every year I buy less and less stuff locally, and it has less to do with price than it does just being able to get what I want without a bunch of extra hassle, searching all over town, not having the right model, etc...

Living in a very small town, it makes a lot of sense ordering stuff online. Everything is marked up so high it can be highway robbery to get certain items locally. I know the moms and pops stores need their share of money too but there are limitations to what can be done. Most electronic items (computer parts etc) are bought online, footwear, some clothing and so on. Most times even with customs and duties (if there are any) its usually cheaper.

Local for things like tires, appliances, ect where I will need local service.

Like a lot of others I live in a smaller town, nearest larger town 75-80,000 is 35 miles one way, so not too convenient, but now seems necessary for the appliance type items as all we have left here is wal mart.

Shaving, fountain pens, inks, office supplies, strickly on line for convenience and price, same with most collectible items, and virtually all my shooting supplies, bullets, powders, primes, brass, gun accessories.

It's easier to sit back in my easy chair and shop and research vs spending the time and money to go up the road, and a lot less stressful.

I order most stuff online, except food, furniture, houses, guns, and heavy stuff from home depot. Not a fan of being chased by salesmen who know less than Bing.

I live in a large metro area (OKC) and get down to Dallas (3hrs) on a regular bases and still find that I am ordering more and more online. As the big boxes have driven the smaller retailers out my choices become smaller. So now I buy a huge diversity of items online. Everyday items like coffee, syrup, and rice I buy online as no one stocks the brands I like locally anymore. In the past you could request an item and the retailer would order it for you. Try to get Walmart or Target or a Associated Grocers store to get something for you, won't happen because no one at the store has the authority to order anything for a customer. In fact they will direct you to the companies website. Well, if I am going online I am surly going to order what I want.

I believe this lack of customer service is driving more and more people to use online sites. I find that I am ordering larger ticket items online for these reasons. At least 95% of my hunting and fishing items, a new TV for the bedroom, and certain parts for my vehicles and outboard motor are now being ordered online. Retailers seem to want the consumer to settle for what their buyers want us to purchase. I was so tried of hearing "I know that's not what you wanted but its all they had" that I started planning purchases better and became a better shopper.

Top Bottom