What's new

Gillette Platinum Silver vs. Gillette Silver Blue

I like Gillette Platinums, Gillette Super Platinums Black & Blue.

Do not like Gillette Silver Blue at all.

As they say

YMMV

My favorite blade is the Feather. When I try a different blade, then go back to the Feather, I wonder why I left.

That said, I have pretty much set my razor rotation, and am going back through my rather large collection of blades. GSB is up next. I'm finding technique is much more important than blade, assuming a good blade--and what is a good blade is certainly debatable, too.

When I first started dipping my toe into the shallows of that huge ocean of blade brands, I used Oscroft's comparisons as a guide, and it worked pretty well.

For a while, I was certain Gillette Blacks were the best ever. Then Gillette Yellows, followed by Personna Labs and Med Preps. I had a short affair with Crystals, but, being fickle, quickly switched to Voskhod. Needless to say, my Blade Brothers here at BnB had a huge affect on my blade surfing.

Beginning my current, unscientific test, my top 4 were:

1. Feather
2. Rapira Lux
3. Voskhod
4. Rapira Super Swede/Personna Med Prep...

And, yes, I believe there is a difference between Med Preps and Blue Labs...I call that on-going argument--"Personnas of the Mysteries," named after an old book: Motel of the Mysteries.

My doctor gave me some Personna Reds. The last time I tried them, I thought, "meh." This time I got a DFS every shave, and with my essential tremors, that's the best shave I ever get.

So, next up, GSB. I shall report back. Oh, and razors, I'm doing three shaves each: 1. Joris/Fatip 2. Gillette Old Type 3. Gillette New SC. I am about to add an LC into the mix. I just ordered a Rhodium plated LC...I absolutely love Rhodium.

Now I've confused myself, if I broke this thread, apologies. :blushing: I love talking about blades. :thumbup:

I see 3 Gillette blades discussed in this thread.

silver-blue.jpg platinum.jpg super-platinum-blue.jpg

I have only tried the first and they felt decent.

How do the Platinum's compare? I see it advertised as limited availability at one of my favorite vendors. Based on responses in this thread, it sounds like YMMV -- some find it better than the first one, some find it to be of equal performance, and some find it worse. I find that weird!

I have heard really good things about #3, but are they even made anymore? I see them being sold at a very high price on ebay. If they are still being made, does anyone have a pointer to a good place to buy them?

Gillette Platinums are readily available. There's an eBay seller from Sweden who has the Plats as shown in your picture, for around $15/hundred. I've bought hundreds of them from him, he's a good and well known seller.

I prefer Platinums to Silver Blues, but I like Silver Blues too. Platinums are very forgiving and smooth. I never get a nick, cut, weeper, or red irritation with a Platinum, no matter how hasty or sloppy my shave is. The Platinums feel "old school" like the blades of yore that were just really mellow but also gave a great shave every time, BBS easily if you want it. GSBs are sharper than Platinums and cut closer, quicker. Obviously, many people prefer the GSB, and that's understandable because they're both superb blades, but the Platinum is my # 1 choice of razor blade.

Here is how I look at it. Comparing a GSB to a Polsilver, the GSB is sharper and more efficient, the Polsilver is smoother. If you were to split the difference right down the middle, that'd be the Gillette Platinum.

Super Platinums (aka 7 O'Clock Blacks) are expensive on eBay and not related to the Platinums, other than that they're both Gillette and have the word "platinum" in them. They're very different. The Blacks are very sharp but also, at least for me, harsh and irritating and I really don't like them.

Gillette Platinums are readily available. There's an eBay seller from Sweden who has the Plats as shown in your picture, for around $15/hundred. I've bought hundreds of them from him, he's a good and well known seller.

I prefer Platinums to Silver Blues, but I like Silver Blues too. Platinums are very forgiving and smooth. I never get a nick, cut, weeper, or red irritation with a Platinum, no matter how hasty or sloppy my shave is. The Platinums feel "old school" like the blades of yore that were just really mellow but also gave a great shave every time, BBS easily if you want it. GSBs are sharper than Platinums and cut closer, quicker. Obviously, many people prefer the GSB, and that's understandable because they're both superb blades, but the Platinum is my # 1 choice of razor blade.

Here is how I look at it. Comparing a GSB to a Polsilver, the GSB is sharper and more efficient, the Polsilver is smoother. If you were to split the difference right down the middle, that'd be the Gillette Platinum.

Super Platinums (aka 7 O'Clock Blacks) are expensive on eBay and not related to the Platinums, other than that they're both Gillette and have the word "platinum" in them. They're very different. The Blacks are very sharp but also, at least for me, harsh and irritating and I really don't like them.

The 3rd one is actually not black, it is dark blue. The black ones are still made and they are manufactured in India. The dark blue ones are supposed to be better but they are no longer available, at least I cannot seem to find them except at outrageous prices on eBay. They are made by PPI.

Attachments

• blue-2.jpg
    blue-2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 23
They were selling platinums (the 2nd one in this post) at the local AoS store, so I paid their astronomical price of $7 for instant gratification so I could give them a try.

...And, yes, I believe there is a difference between Med Preps and Blue Labs...I call that on-going argument--"Personnas of the Mysteries," named after an old book: Motel of the Mysteries...

Personna has stated to many, including myself, that the only difference between the Med Prep and the Lab Blues is the sanitization the former receives before packaging.

Personna has stated to many, including myself, that the only difference between the Med Prep and the Lab Blues is the sanitization the former receives before packaging.

+1! Some here still feel that there is a difference in how these blades shave. To me they are the same!!

Thanks. This was informative. (Re)discovering the art of slicing and dicing my face, I just bought some Gillette Platinums and a batch of 7 O'clock Platinum Blues is alreaady on the way. I'm convinced now have to buy a sample of the Silver Blues to get the big picture.

I used a GSB in my pre-war fat handle tech today and the blade gave an awesome shave.

They were selling platinums (the 2nd one in this post) at the local AoS store, so I paid their astronomical price of $7 for instant gratification so I could give them a try.

So I tried them and they are a decent blade, but at least my experience was that they are almost indistinguishable from Gillette Silver Blue.

Top Bottom