What's new

Will I be satisfied with a Berkeley?

I'm thinking of getting a berkeley but I don't know if I'll be satisfied with it so I'm looking for some input from the group.

I face lather exclusively, soaps and creams, but mostly soaps. I usually do 3 passes (sometimes 4).

I currently have a Rooney Pure 1/1, a simpson 59 with a TGN Finest (was my dads) and an AOS Pure (Vulfix rebrand).

Will I be happy with the Burkeley? (funds are tight so thats why I'm look at that one, I really wait to try a best brush).

You will have to load the brush more than usual with soaps if you want to make 3 plus passes. I recommend getting one in Best.

Just had my Berkeley for a brief while. I get three passes with face-lathered soap from it; can't really describe the lather at the moment, but seems adequate. Same with cream.

The Berkeleys are reasonably dense. They remind me of Dukes in face feel. In Best, they have just the right amount of scrub and backbone. It's a superb face latherer as well. I recommend it to anyone who is budget minded but wants a really good badger.

I had a Rooney 1/2. The Berk is a better brush for me. Smaller, accurate, non messy, you can feel some hair on your face, so you get a feel for lather. The 1/2 was like lathering with a cloud. If you want a small brush, the Berk is very good .

saw your Duke thread.
Berkeley is a small brush. are you looking for small brush?
don't compromise to your budget constraint. it better to wait and save more for a Duke or try BST.
you will be happier if you follow your heart and get what you really want.

go straight for a Duke 3 and call it a day. :w00t:

I had a Rooney 1/2. The Berk is a better brush for me. Smaller, accurate, non messy, you can feel some hair on your face, so you get a feel for lather. The 1/2 was like lathering with a cloud. If you want a small brush, the Berk is very good .

i seem to be a small brush fan and i've been waiting (im)patiently almost 2 weeks for my berkeley to arrive from WCS. i just don't understand why shipping from US to canada routinely takes longer than from just about anywhere else in the world. things from the UK typically arrive in 3 or 4 days.

v.

saw your Duke thread.
Berkeley is a small brush. are you looking for small brush?
don't compromise to your budget constraint. it better to wait and save more for a Duke or try BST.
you will be happier if you follow your heart and get what you really want.

go straight for a Duke 3 and call it a day. :w00t:

Confusing the issue now :mellow:

i went through some confusing issues too when i getting my 1st Simpsons.
ended i go straight for a Duke 3 and i made the right decision. :thumbup:

i went through some confusing issues too when i getting my 1st Simpsons.
ended i go straight for a Duke 3 and i made the right decision. :thumbup:

Well I could sell off a few more things to fund a Duke 3 but I recall reading a thread that the seem to have sheding issues.

yes, there quite a number of Duke 3 shedding cases.
I'm aware of the problem before i make my purchase.
from what i read, Simpsons got good after sales service. i will contact them directly if i got a shedder. just send it back to them for a replacement.

Show it off and let us know how you like it. Simpson Duke brushes have dense knots so don't let the loose hairs worry you during the initial wash/rinse.

excerpt from a message i sent this evening to an exclusive shaving email group:

simpson berkeley:

the knot looks very much like a slightly smaller rover. the handle is on the tiny side, but remarkably well shaped and you actually just grip the bottom part by miracle. at first i wondered why this cost one third the price. the smaller knot is one answer, but the other is greater prickliness, although both are "best badger". how much subtle grading is going on here? very difficult to believe and i would love to see the process. excellent face lathering brush, but i want a bowl-lathering tool. more flop (even though it has taken on pejorative meaning) and/or loft, i think. my australian is still kicking ***. still, the little guy is very impressive and there is no reason not to have one in the den at this price.

man, getting the perfect brush is a very complicated process, but simspon will be allowed one more try.

btw: this is the australian kick-*** brush:

proxy.php

v.

Top Bottom