What's new

To the long-time users of the Semogue Owners Club 2-Band Shaving Brush!

Hi Guys,

to those of you who are using the Semogue 2-Band (Fine Badger) shaving brush with a wood handle made of cherry: How does the wood handle's doing? Are there any issues with it? Having made some bad experiences with wood handles on shaving brushes but being deeply interested in buying this brush, I would like to get some impression from you.

Another aspect: In comparison to M&F or New Forest shaving brushes, how does the 2-Band badger hair behaves? Is it truly dense yet soft?? I really like 2-Band brushes as I do face-lather only, but do not like a scrubby brush at all.

So, maybe there are some members out there sharing their impressions on this great looking Portugal made brush with me.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Christian

Last edited:
Hi Christian!

Don't consider myself a long time user of the SOC 2-band, but have used other Semogue brush as well and the problem with their wooden handles was resolved over a year ago when they changed their varnish, to my knowledge nobody complains about missing ink or wooden handles being ruined by water. You can probably still do it by using really really hot boiling water, but who does that?? My brush is as good as new!

I do have a 2 band NF Chunky, it's a hard comparison being as the NF is a 22mm knot brush, but it's not a particularly dense brush, the SOC is. The softness of tips goes to the SOC also, I'm a exclusive face latherer also and it's one of my favorite brushes to do so, easy loading out of any soap, creamy lather and a luxurious face feel, the right amount of backbone and softness! A friend of mine that has the SOC and a M&F 24x52mm says they are more similar than different, but I can't really comment on that!

If you are a member of Gut-rasiert our portuguese/german, all around great guy, SLB04 just bought one! You can ask his impressions, I know he is loving it!

Hope this help! Greetings from Portugal!

I have the SOC 2Band finest and the NF 2Band (I think finest) in the crazy blue and white veined handle. I use a scuttle for almost every shave. The SOC is a little big for me, but I will never part with it. The wooden handle is not showing any signs of age or finish problems - I've had it since about March. The NF is the smallest of my 2Bands and it doesn't build lather as well as the SOC, but does a much better job of application to the face. Also, the NF is still a perfect, tight knot for applying the 3rd pass lather whereas the SOC is getting pretty splayed by the time I put on the 3rd pass lather. I'm completely sold on the 2Band knots and I've tried just about everything except for the $200+ brushes. My favorite is the Simpson PJ2.

Hi Christian,

I also have the 2-band and I have been using it frequently and I have not had any problems whatsoever with the handle or the varnish on it.

In my portfolio of brushes the Semogue 2-band and a H.L. Thäter Silvertip is my two favourite brushes, and I can't decide between the two, so they have to share the "honour".

The 2-band doesn't care what you throw at it; creams or hard soaps it lathers like a champ. It has a rather dense knot, considerably more than my New Forest 2-band (2201), so it got quite a backbone. The tips are really nice and soft, not quite as soft as a Silvertip but pretty close.
I am all in favour of soft tips, and for that reason I don't even look at Pure or Best Badger brushes as they are way too prickly for me, I don't choose anything less than a Finest Badger, but normally I go for Silvertip Badger or Boar brushes.
However in this case, I am really pleased with the brush and have no issue with it. Besides the performance, I think it is a really beautiful brush as well aesthetically.

I will gladly recommend the Semogue 2-band to everyone, and if you decide to buy it, I don't think you will be disappointed (- but as always YMMV).

All I can say is: "I love mine :001_wub:"

If you are a member of Gut-rasiert our portuguese/german, all around great guy, SLB04 just bought one! You can ask his impressions, I know he is loving it!

Hope this help! Greetings from Portugal!

SLB04 is also a member here. You can shoot him a PM.

Anyway, I also have a SOC 2-band and I love it. No issues at all with the wooden handle. It is a luxurious and dense brush.

Top Bottom