Thread: TOBS St.James - does it do anything?

Default TOBS St.James - does it do anything?

I tried TOBS St James two times so far. I seems to me that it is nothing but perfumed alcohol. It does not do anything with razor burn. When I use Musgo Real, it heals razor burn very effectively and after a few hours the burn is totally gone. But with TOBS St.James, nothing seems to happen. Has anyone else experienced the same?
    Last edited by Everyman; 09-10-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

The TOBS splashes don't seem to have much moisturizer or conditioner in them if any and I've not seen an ingredient list anywhere that shows what's in them. Definitely nothing like Musgo. A touch of unscented balm will fix you up if you like the scent but need a little more for your skin.
    [I]"Find out what it is in life you donít do well, and then donít do that thing.Ē - Most Interesting Man in the World[/I]

- Kevin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Traditional splashes often don't do anything for razor burn, because they're not intended to be healing or soothing - they're made to tone and tighten the skin after a successful shave. If you want healing and soothing, there are other products designed specifically for that.
    Just call me Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I just added these ingredients to TOBS St. James Collection Aftershave Lotion: Alcohol Denat, Parfum, Isopropyl Myristate, Diethyl Phtalate, Menthol, Aqua, CI42090 (Parfum contains: benzyl salicylate, citral, citronellol, eugenol, geraniol, hexyl cinnamaldehyde, linalool, 2-(4-tert-butylbenzyl) propionanldehyde, D-limonene).

Most of that is indeed not healing or soothing: the menthol might numb a little, and the alcohol and Isopropyl myristate will disinfect. The rest of the ingredients seem to be scents, binders, and color.
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "Don't point that beard at me! It might go off." ó Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by DogHair View Post
    The TOBS splashes don't seem to have much moisturizer or conditioner in them if any and I've not seen an ingredient list anywhere that shows what's in them. Definitely nothing like Musgo. A touch of unscented balm will fix you up if you like the scent but need a little more for your skin.
    The scent is neither great nor bad. Yeah, Musgo's performance is really spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    If you want healing and soothing, there are other products designed specifically for that.
    Can you please tell me some of the products in this category.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Everyman View Post
    Can you please tell me some of the products in this category.
    Most balms and milks, any splashes with ingredients beyond just alcohol and fragrance (ie, glycerin, witch hazel, etc.)
    Just call me Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I like Speick splash: it has some witch hazel and a grab-bag of other interesting ingredients.

You can also augment your TOBS St James, if you like its scent. You could add a few mL of pure glycerine, for example. You could also add some drugstore witch hazel. This thread might help: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...lycerin-To-Add
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "Don't point that beard at me! It might go off." ó Groucho Marx