What's new

Encre Noire

I haven't used EDTs/colognes in a long time (70's when I was trying to bed all the womens) but have started back up lately. Used to bathe in Z-14, but love the vetivers now. I am also a smoker so don't have much of a nose. I bought a bottle of Encre Noire and used some today. After it dried down, it smells to me exactly like Creed vetiver, a kind of, for want of a better descriptor, soapy smell, just like Creed. Is it my schnozzola, or do others find this also?

Ron

Can't say that I see the similarity. Encre Noire is an earthy, smokey and pretty true vetiver scent. It's a great value to be sure. The Creed renditions (classic and Original) vetiver do not really smell anything like vetiver at all.

Classic Vetiver (1948) has a slightly dated smell with a mineral quality to it (from the "vetiver") and a barbershop-like soapiness to it. It's a classy scent with a dab of ginger intermingled into the mix.

Original Vetiver is nothing like the classic version and is a very green scent with a hint of citrus in the top notes that fades quick and leaves a very "grass like" clean, green scent. It has pretty good longevity for a modern, clean scent.

I'd actually say that all 3 of these are quite different from each other. The only similarity would be that they are all based on a vetiver theme. EN is definitely the closest of the bunch to a true vetiver scent. Not saying that the Creed scents are bad. I enjoy them both, but there's not much vetiver going on in either one!

Encre Noire has a unique, rubbery, burnt cork, inky opening that I really like and a good, strong authentic vetiver body. I see some similarity to the Annick Goutal vetiver, but not the Creed, which is smoother and very weak on vetiver scent.

I hated it at first. Tried again and loved it. So, if you don't like it at first, don't toss it just yet; try later.

Top Bottom