What's new

$20,000 Jnat?

Wow, this is definitely a beautiful stone, and large too. (I have a small usu karasu myself, and it puts an unbelievable, mirror edge on a blade.)

But $20,000?!? That's a LOT of cheddar for a razor hone. I guess I should add that the seller is also open to offers too, so if you only want to spend, oh I don't know, $19,950 for a hone, maybe give it a try!

Anyway, I've never seen a hone with a price tag like this, so I thought I'd share it here. The eBay auction number is 160649657757, if you're interested!

Attachments

• $big karasu.jpg
    $big karasu.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 139
I know nothing about that stone however some Japanese stones cost a kings ransom. There are folks there who collect these things and prize the pattern and size and location where they were mined, they don't use them. Stones going for tens of thousands of dollars are not so uncommon.

In my one trip to Japan in 2000 I saw many, many >$5000USD Japanese naturals in various shops in Tokyo and Kyoto, in fact beyond $10k wasn't nearly as uncommon as you'd have thought.

if the stone is very uniform, big size, and for example has karasu (which is very expensive feature in Japan), then the price can go pretty high.
I believe the current owner of the Nakayama stock has a $30K stone, and I have seen a $50K stone. I think those very pure and expensive stones usually are not for sale they are passed down in the family.

Top Bottom