What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil soap... this stuff is outstanding!

I've had two NOS pucks of this sitting around for a while, and I decided to pull one out for a shave tonight.

I'm floored.

What on earth did they do so differently to this stuff? I've tried other C&E soaps and none of them come close to the performance of this stuff. It lathers like a freakin' tallow bomb! Thick, slick lather that stays wet on your face and doesn't break down, and a very Cella-esque aroma makes this one of my favorite soaps, I think.

Any other fans?

I'm sitting on 2 NIB pucks and 3 NIB tubes ... I love SAO, it gave me the best shave when I was first starting out with wet-shaving, but when it went out of production, I hate to crack open a sealed package.

I'm saving it for a special occasion ... maybe when I buy a house, maybe when I get married, maybe my retirement day.

If nothing else, I'm putting it in my will that SAO is what I want the mortician to shave me with before he puts me in the box.

My only C&E soap experience was with Sienna and i HATED that soap. Worst lathering product.....:cursing:

Good to hear they did a better job at one point.

I am also sitting on 2 NIB pucks of C&E SAO, plus an unopened 5.8 ounces tub/bowl with the screw-on lid. I have an opened tub/bowl as well as a slightly used puck in a C&E 1997 scuttle that I rotate now and then. I agree that this stuff is wonderful!

For the life of me, I can never figure out why C&E doesn't resurrect this very delightful sweet almond shave soap.

Well, it is their loss!

I still have my RazoRock Original, Vitos, Cella and an unopened kilo of P.160 Tipo Morbido just waiting for future use after I use up my 1/4 kilo chunk that I acquired as part of a trade with another B&B member for a NIB puck of C&E SAO.

I will always hate to see the C&E SAO go, but the Italians do a mighty fine job offering various excellent and satisfying replacements.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
I have used C&E SAO for over 20 years and I still have a 2 NOS in my cabinet. I have recently switched to Fendrihan's Artisan Shaving Soap - Almond soap and I much prefer it to the C&E almond which is no longer in production.
The Fendrihan soap is a joy and in my experience using my scuttle and 30 year old Simpson brush, the Fendrihan is superior. I also use a local tallow based soap from Niagara that is even superior but that soap is custom made.

I used to super lather SAO soap/creme all the time. It is fantastic that way!!! I think I might still have a tub/puck stashed away...

This is an odd post for me. Around eight years or so ago I bought a refill cake of the SAO soap at a nearby mall. It was a poor performer. I tried whipping up a lather any way I could and it was just not happening. I wound up using it in the shower for bathing. I wonder if there was any sort of formula changes over the years? This would have been around 2003 and it was not long before they discontinued it. Just weird.

Regards, Todd

IMO, this is part of the "unobtainable phenomenon" when discontinued products get hyped way beyond their actual status.

I still have a few pucks and used up my last bit of cream earlier this year. The cream was much better than the soap, but the soap was average. Don't spend more than $5-$7 on a refill puck, it is just not worth it.

The scent is very nice however.

Top Bottom