What's new

What are your earliest memories of shaving?

As I was responding to another post, I had mentioned something I had long forgotten. It was my first memories of shaving. By this, I don't mean how Gillette sent me an Excel razor in the mail when I turned 18. I mean dig deep, go way back if you can. My most vivid memories were when I was probably between 8 and 10 years old when I traveled with my grandparents to our summer place in Idaho, and my grandfather broke the blades out of a blue disposable Bic razor (still had the head, just no blades) and he'd let me practice shaving with canned shaving cream. I thought that was so cool when I was a kid, and I'm sure I got to do it a few times before I found something else I was interested in doing. It brings a smile to my face to think about it now, and if it weren't for responding to a post on this site, I may not have remembered that for a while, if ever...geez, it's been nearly 30 years since that happened.

So what are your earliest memories of shaving? I'd love to hear your stories if you can remember them...

-Steve

My gums with my dad's Schick injector! Yep, when I was really young I climbed up on my parent's bathroom counter, grabbed my dad's razor and began to chew on it. I went downstairs, gave my mother a giant bloody smile, grabbed one of the lemons she was cutting and started sucking on it :) . Of course I don't remember this, but the story, as told by my mother, is a classic :) .

I watched an episode of The Cosby Show. Theo was being taught how to shave. I engraved the directions in my head. When I got a chance, I "borrowed" my grandpa's Gillette Sensor Excel and Gillette Shaving Foam and went to it. I was in my mid teens. I was a real late bloomer. I really didn't need to shave until I was 22.
My mother is a single parent. I had no father to teach me to shave and my grandfather worked night shift so when I saw him he was always sleeping. I took matters into my own hands.

For the record, I would like to say that I REALLY learned how to shave the day I joined B&B. You are all my adopted uncles and grandpas.

Thank you all gentlemen.

well..I was born in 1979...so I would have to say in the 1990's using Schick Diamond FX disposable razors..theee sharpest and worst angled razors ever!...blood spots everywhere..!.I also remember in the late 1990's using electric..also awful..for once in my life..my face is much happier with my old tools...interesting though..never really thought of it til I saw this post

I was twelve years old and had peach fuzz that was nearly half an inch long. I shaved with my Dad's DE and a Gillette thin blade in the red packaging. Significant blood flowed but the peach fuzz was gone. It came back black and stiff. Been shaving ever since.

My first shave, unsupervised, was at the age of four with lots of blood involved. 64 years later, I still have a two-inch scar (where hair will not grow) on my right cheek as evidence.
:scared:

I have always loved shaving with sharp objects!
:001_tt1:

I remember my Dad making some lather with his brush and using a Gillette Knack, which he still has. He would splash on some Brut afterwards!

It was around 1971, I was 14, when I started shaving the growth of peach fuzz with a Schick Injector.

Acne & A Sharp Blade: The Trials of a young man attempting to look good and survive .... Coming to a bathroom near you!

My father always joked in The Army during WWII -that because he was platinum blonde (& has ice-blue eyes)- that he could get to the front of the line for breakfast because he could shave at night & pass inspection in the morning! :wink2:

Unfortunately, my mother's side of the family has 3 O'clock shadow not 5 O'clock. I being mixed - ended up with sandy blond hair, green eyes and a fairly heavy beard! :lol:

Watching my Dad shave, he used canned goo but, he did use a Black Gillette DE razor (not sure which one) so..........at least he was 1/2 right.:wink2:

I was very very young and I remember watching my father shave, and so I (as a curious little kid) later on looked through the medicine cabinet at his razors, shaving mug, and brush, and I started playing with the brush and shaving soap (it seemed like fun) and covered myself in the lather-- my mother found me in time before I started trying to use one of the DE razors, and so after I explained/insisted that I wanted to shave like my father (I was probably around 3-5 years old), she let me use an empty (without the blade) DE razor to play with in my mock shaving adventure.

Fast forward to the next time I saw my father shaving, I then explained to him that I would like to shave as well, so he explained the process to me and let me practice with an empty DE. He later gave me a toy set with a plastic toy razor, shaving mug (with soap), and brush, and I remember playing with it every once in a while.

To say the least, I was a curious kid, and many thought it was funny how I seemed to act like a little man in so many ways-- maybe this had to do with being an only child and being around a lot of adults, etc. lol

Last edited:
Gentleman, I love the stories, and I hope to see many more! Thank you to all who have shared so far. I'm sure this question has been asked many times, and perhaps it should be a topic in the forum...seems if it were always at the top of the list, we'd see hundreds, if not thousands of stories over time.

-Steve

As a young child I always used a toy shaving kit next to my grandfather while he shaved. The kit had a small brush and plastic razor. I would lather up and scrap it off my face. I thought it was so cool.

I was about 7 and stole my Mom's electric razor. I shaved my legs and arms. Thank goodness I did not go for the head.

I can't remember when my first shave experience was, but I knew it was with my dad's cart razor that I had to borrow every so often (wonder if he still uses it? I have to go and see tonight).

What I do remember was when I was very young (say between 4 and 6? maybe older?), watching my dad change the blade in his cart razor and I asked him why. "Because, it's dull," he said.

"Can I use that one to practice with then?" was my response :)

little did I know that even 'dull' it was still 'sharp' and that seemingly contradictory statement perplexed me for quite a while...

Of course I saw my dad shave from time to time with his can of Colgate goo and some plain old black cart razor that I think was probably a Trac II, but I'll never forget my first experience with shaving. We're early bloomers in my family, and I had serious peach fuzz going on in elementary school already, thought I wouldn't admit it. So, for my tenth birthday, my dad got me a present, which was unusual since he usually just gave cards. I opened it up, and inside was a Remington Triple Foil (which I still have). It's a good thing I was only ten, or I would have killed him!

My dad was never good at giving detailed enough instructions, so a few years down the road when I tried using one of Dad's Bic disposables he'd switched to (after he told me he wouldn't replace the screen again on my poor Remington I kept dropping in the sink), no one really told me about shaving method beyond applying cream and rubbing your face with the razor, so I figured the more times you went over the moustache and the harder you pressed, the closer shave you would get. I was right, of course, but I will never forget the worst razor bumps/burn imaginable and not being able to shave there for two weeks.

Top Bottom