What's new

Cheap shaving bowls

check this out http://www.fantes.com/mortar_pestle.htm

this place has OODLES of items that can be used as mixing bowls... i got the idea from a member that was using a mortar as a mixing bowl... so i searched one out... found this place... and they have PLENTY of items to choose from... many of which are VERY fairly priced... check out the marble mortar and pestle set... VERY cheap... and nice looking :) probably weighs a ton too!

edited to add: also, check this out http://www.fantes.com/images/121720warmers.jpg anyone ever thought of using one of these to warm their lather? stick a steel bowl ontop, a cheap fondue gel warmer at the bottom, and voiala! lol might be TOO hot though... not sure... never actually used one of those, but i do know typically, to keep food warm enough to eat at hotels, they typically have 3 or so burning below... so, i would assume 1 wouldnt create a whole lot of heat... could be wrong though :D

I am happy with my $2.50 put-together scuttle from wallmart... 1 min on the Microw. and I have 1/2 hour of warm lather. Right now I am shaving for a Feather AC :w00t: Besides, those mortars look heavier than what I would like. Still, thanks for sharing your findings

I use a soup bowl that I got from a chinese restaurant! Palm-sized, ceramic, with just enough heft to it. I asked if I could buy one and they gave it to me free (I'm a regular there).
Too much heft in a bowl and it would be apain to hold while building lather.
I also use a mug warmer for heat and the ceramic bowl heats up in a relatively quick time and keeps that heat.

I've thought about using a mortar. Problem is the inner surface of mortars are generally rough. I hesitate to use my brush against it for fear that all may badger hair may be ruined.

Am I wrong? Because if the rough inner surface of the mortar does not ruin badger hair, then I'm off to the nearest laboratory supply store.

I've thought about using a mortar. Problem is the inner surface of mortars are generally rough. I hesitate to use my brush against it for fear that all may badger hair may be ruined.

Am I wrong? Because if the rough inner surface of the mortar does not ruin badger hair, then I'm off to the nearest laboratory supply store.

There was a thread a while back talking about just that. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are some bowls made for shaving that have "ripples" on the inside of the bowl. I guess to help aerate the lather?

I always thought a japanese bowl like THIS would do well

There are a couple of guys here that swear by them. That's a beautiful one, btw!

Thank you for sharing it. I like my shave bowl to have a handle, though. In fact I bought a wide mug just some days ago.

Only little bit of advice I can give is, don't make the same mistake I've made - don't buy it white :mad:

as for the japanese bowl, its nice... but you wanna talk about harsh on the brush? its actually got GROOVES lol the other ones are just a semi-rough finish... almost like sandblasting... think of a very fine unglazed clay...

and as for the bowl being too big/heavy to hold, thats why the weight is good! lol you dont NEED to hold it... sit that thing on a counter, and you can whip up a lather with one hand, and shave with the other lol (assuming you already had enough lather to shave on your face of course :biggrin: )

I am happy with my $2.50 put-together scuttle from wallmart... 1 min on the Microw. and I have 1/2 hour of warm lather. Right now I am shaving for a Feather AC :w00t: Besides, those mortars look heavier than what I would like. Still, thanks for sharing your findings

So what does your $2.50 put together system consist of????

I have two cheap bowls and it works very well...maybe $10 total.

Top Bottom