What's new

Help me out guys. I need a new safety razor.

I need a safety razor that's just as good as the Merkur 34C HD, priced no higher than $40. I need one that exposes the blade further out.

I don't know the difference between adjustable and open comb. What I need is a safety razor that reveals the blade out more than usual.

The 34C would be perfect if it wasn't so lousy at hiding the blade. I swear, they need to start making the blades longer.

I've been pondering at the idea of a Gillette Superspeed and Fatboy, though I don't trust Ebay or Amazon. At all!!! It's just too hard to tell which is real, without overpaying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, where can I go to sell my old razor?

There are a bunch of cheap super speeds on ebay, the fatboys are normally pretty pricey there. If you want it "now" than the bay is your best bet. If you don't mind waiting and searching the BST here is pretty nice. 40 will get you a user grade FB on ebay, a pretty decent one here. 40 will get you a nice slim on the bay or a cased slim on the BST. A super adjustable will cost even less than the slim! I prefer my slim but an older OC is pretty nice too

I'm not so sure that another DE is what's needed. I'd suggest working on your technique first as a good shave is possible with just about any DE.

If you must have another DE. try an open comb. The Merkur 1904 gets my vote. I have both the safety bar and the open comb, and the 1904 is my go to, even over the HD. :thumbup1:

Just go to all of the antique stores in you area or at least within 50 square miles of your area and look at every display and every nook and cranny and you're sure to find a ss or a slim or fatboy. I have found dozens this way, all in mint or near mint conditon.

I like the antique store idea. Also, on eBay I have had pretty good luck with a seller called "cedarfurnitureman". Right now their offerings are rather thin:i.e. one straight razor. However, you will find that their quality is exceptional. They do a very nice job cleaning up the razors. I should mention that they have a rather large following and the competition can be fierce at times.

I need a safety razor that's just as good as the Merkur 34C HD, priced no higher than $40. I need one that exposes the blade further out.

I don't know the difference between adjustable and open comb. What I need is a safety razor that reveals the blade out more than usual.

The 34C would be perfect if it wasn't so lousy at hiding the blade. I swear, they need to start making the blades longer.

I've been pondering at the idea of a Gillette Superspeed and Fatboy, though I don't trust Ebay or Amazon. At all!!! It's just too hard to tell which is real, without overpaying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to add the Slim Adjustable to that list-- many say that it gives a better shave than the FB or SS, and usually costs quite a bit less than a FB. If you don't trust eBay, then either post a WTB listing in the Shaving Mall, and start checking out your local thift/antique stores as they tend to pop up there.

I need one that exposes the blade further out.

Why do you need a new razor that exposes the blade further out?

I don't know the difference between adjustable and open comb.

You can do some searching and find the information here at B&B.

I can see why you don't trust eBay but I don't understand why you wouldn't buy from Amazon. I've made just over two dozen purchases on eBay and have had four problems. I've made 133 purchases on Amazon dating as far back as 2001 with zero problems.

You have lots of options on where to sell your razor. I would recommend selling it here on the BST forum. Please familiarize yourself with the BST rules.

If you can't get a good shave with a Merkur, getting a more aggressive razor ain't gonna solve your problems......

And, why not exactly? It's not like the Merkur Hd is an aggressive razor to begin with. My face can handle the most aggressive razor. It's not sensative unlike most.

There are a bunch of cheap super speeds on ebay, the fatboys are normally pretty pricey there. If you want it "now" than the bay is your best bet. If you don't mind waiting and searching the BST here is pretty nice. 40 will get you a user grade FB on ebay, a pretty decent one here. 40 will get you a nice slim on the bay or a cased slim on the BST. A super adjustable will cost even less than the slim! I prefer my slim but an older OC is pretty nice too

Most of these sellers on ebay don't even offer returns, which makes me believe that they're either selling fakes or the razors don't work. I'm in no hurry to buy a new razor, I could care less if I waited 2 days or 100 days.

Ah, yes. There we go. Slim and Super Speed seem to get me mixed up a lot. The Slim is the smaller version of the Fatboy I assume.

Why don't you pick up the new Mühle R41? It's as aggressive as they come. You'll get a good sense of how tough your face is and where your technique is at. Be sure to report back with your results.

Parker 94R. Aggresive, cheap to buy well made and a great shave. Or another vote for the 1904 safety bar. Bothe brilliant razors.

Why do you need a new razor that exposes the blade further out?

You can do some searching and find the information here at B&B.

I can see why you don't trust eBay but I don't understand why you wouldn't buy from Amazon. I've made just over two dozen purchases on eBay and have had four problems. I've made 133 purchases on Amazon dating as far back as 2001 with zero problems.

You have lots of options on where to sell your razor. I would recommend selling it here on the BST forum. Please familiarize yourself with the BST rules.

What do you mean, "why"? I need a blade more exposed, because so the blade can tackle more of those trouble spots that are just too stubborn to be shaved with the right technique. This, and not being an adjustable are the only flaws to the HD.

They'd rip me off as soon as they'd see me. Besides, I don't think we have any here in Michigan that I know of. We've got a flew market a few miles away, but I doubt anyone would be selling shaving gear other the knife people who'd probably sell straight razors.

If you can't get a good shave with a Merkur, getting a more aggressive razor ain't gonna solve your problems......

I agree, a Merkur is pretty aggressive. Are you not getting close enough shaves? I think the blade angle might be off if thats the case. There was a thread here somewhere on how the Merkur razors werent consistent with eachother and lacked quality control. I just sold my Merkur HD on the BST because it was too aggressive. Maybe try an Edwin Jagger DE instead. They run under $40.

Top Bottom