What's new

improving legability

Now that I am starting to enjoy using a fountain pen do any of you know of a tutorial that can help me improve the way I write? My writing is a mix of cursive and block kinda randomly in the same word. I know that practice is critical but I feel that some type of tutorial would help. Thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe this:

proxy.php

http://quilljar.users.btopenworld.com/hand.html

I was guilty of doing the same thing, mixing block/print all caps with my cursive when I first started. So, I purchased a journal and decided to ONLY write in cursive in said journal. Taking my time to properly form all the cursive letters, etc...in time it's gotten so much better. Even my wife has commented on how nice my handwriting has become. I'm writing her more love letters and laying them around for her to find ;-)

I'm brainwashing her into associating 'new fountain pens' with the increase of amorous behavior, lol

+1 on the journal. For starting out go to Wal-Mart and pick up a NORCOM composition book, but make sure that it is one made in Brazil. All heck PM me your address and I will send you one!!!

Tom

<My writing is a mix of cursive and block kinda randomly in the same word. I know that practice is critical but I feel that some type of tutorial would help.>

Not sure what you mean by this text. If you meant mixing cursive and block is essential to a modern legible hand and you want to know better how to do that, Kate Gladstone's Powerpoint for sale here has qutie a bit on that.

http://improvedhandwriting.blogspot.com/

See also http://www.fixitwrite.com/

In my experience legibility comes pretty fast with a bit of practice.

Not that I am down on pure cursive as sort of an artistic exercise or even something that is reasonably legible and fast if enough practice and effort is put into ti. Spencerian really started out with just that in mind. Palmer, too. Folks used to go to school for years to learn these methods and to be both fast and legible. So it is not so easy.

Personally fo myself improvement has come about by writing more often, slowing down.
I have recent converted back to crusive writing. Most tutorials for writing do not apply to me because I am left handed. I do not write with an overhand hook.

Now that I am starting to enjoy using a fountain pen do any of you know of a tutorial that can help me improve the way I write? My writing is a mix of cursive and block kinda randomly in the same word. I know that practice is critical but I feel that some type of tutorial would help. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have the exact same problem!! It's frustrating. Even with practice, I'm not getting much better.

Nothing wrong with mixing block and cursive. Reading up on it, nearly every adult naturally does. Some letters really should not be connected for one thing. It enhaces legibility and speed. Top get letters consistent--they will vary somewhat depending upon the letter that comes before--get a set of letters that looks like what you want to use. Practice over and over slowly at first writing large eacy letter, and then practice full sentences from one handwriting guide or another. Practicing will also help keep consistent szie letters, which helps legibility. Your writing will improve. It cannot help but improve. 15 minutes a day will bring your handwriting up very quickly really.

Making the strokes below the line longer, such as "g"s, makes writing prettier and may help legibility. Not sure about legibility.

Spencerian writing is a whole other thing Mostly decorative to me, but very cool. But I also promise if you practice Spencerian script per the training books, write very lightly!, with an offset flex nib dip pen, your control will hugely increase which will really help your writing! I would love to be able to do Spencerian script, but that is a mightly long road to come close to adequate with, much less master, and on-going practice, like playing a muscial insturment. It is a very meditative thing to practice though. Like shving with a straight, only less blood shed!

Gentlemen all used to be able to write beautifully in one style/hand or another.

I personally am not fond of Palmer. To me, it is neither all that easy to make legible nor is it pretty!

I do not see that pure italic does much for speed or legibility in and of itself. But is does add prettiness and interest in general. Certainly using an italic or even a stub nib on a fountain pen makes writing more interesting and prettier to me, even if it does not automatically add legibility and depending on the nib may slow you down. So far I have not found a flex nib on an fp to do much for me. I might not have tried a good one. An offset flex nib dip pen with a good gall ink is a whole other story. I guarantee it will add interest.

Are there any Spencerian "Penmen" on this forum? Anyone with the skills that is willing to take on, I forget what such students are called, perhaps it is "apprentice"? I understand that Spencerian is really something near impossible to learn correctly on one's own! My hat is off to you, by the way. Spencerian at its best is a craft that takes the developed skills of a true artisan! Chapeau!

Last edited:
Top Bottom