What's new

First restorations are done.

Finally finished my first restorations. So here they are. Got the knots at TGN.

Here's where I set the knots at"

Aluminum #4 at 50mm
Bl/Br Fuller at 52mm
ER Bl/Gr at 48mm
ER Bl/Rd at 49mm
Rubberset at 49mm

Attachments

• $handles2.jpg
    $handles2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 414
  • $prebloom1.jpg
    $prebloom1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 409
  • $bloom1.jpg
    $bloom1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 411
Thank you! I spent a little time on them to make sure I didn't ruin one, or all of them. I was trying to figure out what depth to set them at and surprisingly only one member here posted anything. Thought by chance I got drunk and pissed every one off. I am looking forward to using the aluminum handle. It is packed pretty tight and bloomed very nicely!

They look really good!!

Thanks! I used the black/green as of monday. The first few times it was a lather hog, but is now starting to break in. The silvertip is soft, but set at 48 still has a really good back bone. Now if I can find a black/yellow 52c or 925 my collection will be complete. Of course I say that now. Lol!

Last edited:
You did a terrific job and I can't recall seeing your initial post re these restores.

I must say that you are very brave to tackle 5 at once.

What is the knot in the Rubberset ?

You did a terrific job and I can't recall seeing your initial post re these restores.

I must say that you are very brave to tackle 5 at once.

What is the knot in the Rubberset ?

That one is a super badger 22mm. The handle actually needed a 20mm, but I didn't measure correctly. I had to widen the knot hole, and sand the knot down a bit. It still turned out okay.

I love the aluminum one. I am trying to get up the courage to tackle one like it that I have. Did you have any special problems working with a metal handle? What size and brand knot did you use? Thanks

I love the aluminum one. I am trying to get up the courage to tackle one like it that I have. Did you have any special problems working with a metal handle? What size and brand knot did you use? Thanks

A member here recommended unscrewing the top part of the handle and drilling it out from the bottom which I did. I used fine, and really fine steel wool to work the scratches out and then used metal polish to get a shine to it. You can't really tell from the pictures, but I took a brillo pad to give the grooves and the top part a brushed look. The knot I used was a 26mm with extra stuffing. I did have to sand the knot down because the top hole has a lip that kept me from getting the knot in. Once I did get it in it was held in place pretty much by itself. I mean I really had to work to get the know in there with a little bit of elbow grease.

These look really great! Do you have a post about the knots you purchased? I just might have to give this a try!

Looks like you tried a variety of shapes? Did you try some different grades also?

All of the knots are from TGN. I bought one black badger, two finest, and one silvertip and one super badger. Good service from TGN and from what I'm told you can email them with any questions before your purchase and they are very helpful. I just dove in to my projects and am pretty happy with the results.

They all look great,I really like that dark backlite looking one, I have one of the aluminum ones as well, it's one of my favorites. I just like longer handled brushes.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• $P1020214.jpg
    $P1020214.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 185
  • $P1020246.jpg
    $P1020246.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Very nice!! I love my aluminum also. Great feel to it. Did you fight with yours getting a 26mm knot into it? I had to sand mine down a little to get past the opening lip.

Top Bottom