What's new

Finally figured out my lathering problem (And a blade question)

I have been having trouble with my lather for the first month of wet shaving, but yesterday I finally figured it out. I reviewed mantic59's youtube videos, and noticed he was splaying out the hairs of his brush on his face when he was lathering. I did as he was doing and to my surprise, a full lather emerged. Enough for 3 passes and touch-up. I still have to get bowl lathering down, but at least I can now do a sufficient face lathering.

Question about blades now. I've gone through half my blades in my sampler pack, and I was wondering if I should go back and try the other blades again and compare them against my favorite when I'm done going through all the blades? I'm thinking I should since my technique is improving.

I have been having trouble with my lather for the first month of wet shaving, but yesterday I finally figured it out. I reviewed mantic59's youtube videos, and noticed he was splaying out the hairs of his brush on his face when he was lathering. I did as he was doing and to my surprise, a full lather emerged. Enough for 3 passes and touch-up. I still have to get bowl lathering down, but at least I can now do a sufficient face lathering.

Good job! Once you get the lathering down, it's half the battle! I do all of my lathering on my face. Saves time that way...

Question about blades now. I've gone through half my blades in my sampler pack, and I was wondering if I should go back and try the other blades again and compare them against my favorite when I'm done going through all the blades? I'm thinking I should since my technique is improving.

Most excellent plan. You might suddenly discover that one of the blades you didn't like before has the edge of your dreams...

And welcome to the forum!

What Chuck said. Congrats on the lathering. I'd stick with your favorite blade for a couple of weeks, then go through the rotation again. ...so I favor both ideas, to go through the rotation with a little stopover for a while.

I agree with Chuck as well. When I did the same, I found out which blades would make acceptable replacements in a pinch should I have an emergancy....like run out of my blade and then they're out of stock! Hasn't happened in 4+ years though. Running out, not the out of stock part....

I would go back and try some of them as well. I started with a derby and hated it. I tried some others and got good results from sharks and astra then some gillettes etc. I have been shaving for about 9 months and am now at the point were I feel like I get a good shave everyday. I just went back and tried a Derby and it was nice and smooth. Not as sharp as a feather but it worked great.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom