What's new

Just got my first TGQ sampler pack . . .

I knew today was the day when I unlocked my mailbox and was greeted by this wonderful bay rum smell. :thumbup: I ordered Bay Rum/Orange, Highlander, Leatherneck, Cavendish, and Gentlemen's Oak & Moss soaps, along with the Lavender and Savon de Comte creams.

-- Now I can't wait to shave and try them out . . .

. . . Only I can't decide which one to try first!:badger:

Howdy Brian,

These soaps are great! You made an excellent choice in trying Colleen's products.

I've noticed that I need to pay a little more attention to the water/cream ratios (with the soaps) when building lather but the results are superlative.

Colleen makes some of the best soaps I've used, for both smell and performance. Be cautious about your storage, though - I've bought a few (ok, a LOT) of the summer soaps and hid them in a drawer away from the normal rotation. Now the drawer smells great, but Mrs. T knows I'm keeping shaving soaps in there, which causes her a bit of consternation.

Lesson: Store them carefully!

Thomas--I know what you mean about not being able to hide these soaps. They are already filling my linen closet with wonderful aromas.

For my first shave using TGQ soap I chose Highlander, which Colleen describes as a "lingering crisp heart of Rosemary softened with a fleeting note of Lemon grass." I thought that sounded like quite a refreshing shave.

I have to say that I am now a convert. I found the scent to be very nicely composed; mainly fresh rosemary, with a peppery undertone. Very spicy, very masculine, very pleasing.

Now, I'll admit to being about the last person who should comment on the performance of a shaving soap--I am really new at this 'wet shaving' thing and my technique is certainly not up to snuff. Still, this soap gave me a wonderfully comfortable shave. I was able to get a good lather (for my skill level) without too much fuss, and it seemed to be nicely moisturizing. I'm sure that, once I get the water/soap ratio thing right, it will be even better.

Actually, I'm thinking that, until I get better at lathering, I might get a soap and cream of the same scent and do the superlather thing.

At any rate, I am quite happy with my TGQ experience so far, and I'm looking forward to trying out the other soaps in my sampler.

Top Bottom