What's new

Want gentle moisturizing, don't want scent.

So I'm thinking of experimenting with Aftershaves, mostly just because after I splash with cold-water (My current only post-shave step) my skin tightens up quickly. The problem is that I can only stand a few scents, and am keen on even fewer. I don't want my skin to feel like it has had oil rubbed on it, just a gentle softening to counter the tightening that occurs when I'm done, any suggestions?

Additionally, is easy to get samples of aftershaves like it is to get samples of soaps? I wouldn't want to buy a bunch of a product only to find out I can't use it, or hate using; especially since I will be going off to my college in a few weeks and will have less room for shaving stuff :crying:

I think you might be looking for a balm or lotion rather than an alcohol based fragrance.
There are lots to choose from found at any pharmacy or grocery store.
Some I like with little scent are: L'Oreal, Body Shop, Nutrogena and Nivea.
You could try a smaller vendor, some of which have a presence here.
Check out the vendor thread and see what people are offering.

Samples shouldn't be a problem to get a hold of either.

Every Man Jack post shave lotion has a very slight mint scent that I can't even pick up on some mornings. The product does a nice job, is paraben free, and can be found at most places in my area.

Cheers!

+1 proraso. there is actually a very light scent, and it doesn't last very long. it's refreshing. i don't enjoy scents either, and this i don't mind.

Insaniac, Garry's Sample Shop is an excellent source of various samples offered by a supporting vendor (member ID gaj90027). On his latest inventory list (bottom of the thread I linked), two AS splashes that might fit your criteria are:

Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic (alcohol-free with lots of face goodies and a fleeting orange scent)
Speick Splash (alcohol splash with good soothing and a clean herbal lavender scent)

Another suitable choice could be Mandom Lucido, which is an scentless mentholated alcohol splash from Japan. It's sold at royalshave.com, though it appears to be currently out of stock.

cornhuskers lotion.
just a dab. its very similar in ingredients as trumpers skin food at a fraction of the price and a very mild scent.

Every Man Jack post shave lotion has a very slight mint scent that I can't even pick up on some mornings. The product does a nice job, is paraben free, and can be found at most places in my area.

+1 EMJ There's also an unscented version available at (some?) Target stores.

If you don't mind alcohol and just a bit of menthol, the Japanese Lucido aftershave splash is as odorless as they get. I find it very moisturizing.

I think DR Harris has the lowest alcohol content..as they say...light pink for color..no scent..my wife likes it..I used to use it.. but my left already oily skin thnx to genetics...just as oily if not more..worth a try I would say

If you want a splash, I recommend SCS Blue Line Menthol, which just smells like menthol mostly and doesn't linger, or SCS Hydro. I've never personally used Hydro, but all 3 of the SCS aftershaves I've used have been top quality stuff, and Hydro is their splash with little scent and extra emollients.

If you want moisturizing without scent.... just get a moisturizer. They're dirt cheap compared to "aftershave balms" even though they're mostly the same ingredients.

Best one that I have found to date (and I have trouble not buying and trying aftershaves lol) is Lucido Skin Conditioner. You can get it from Royal Shave and it is only like 10 bucks. Now that is a kick butt deal ;) . For that price I think it is at least worth a try. Good moisturizing, smells kind of like just regular lotion, so not really any scent. Has a little menthol kick to it too but not the burning kind, refreshing and nice.

I just go with a face moisturizer...Cetaphil daily is very light, absorbs into your skin very well and seems like its not there very quickly though its doing its job well.

Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Extra Soothing Balm, 3.3-Ounce; Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and other retail outlets.

Top Bottom