What's new

Toughening up the skin?

At 62, aging recently seems to be accelerating for me. One thing I notice is that my skin literally seems to be much thinner. Scrapes that I wouldn't even have noticed before seem to break the skin easily. I've started wearing gloves for activities like stacking firewood or pruning prickly bushes.

However, I never ever ever cut myself shaving. I wonder whether the exfoliating action of daily shaving leads to tougher skin, and whether exfoliation on the rest of the body, in particular the arms and legs, might be beneficial. Maybe a brush, loofah, or similar item in the shower? Maybe it's just general stimulation of circulation in the skin. Any thoughts, observations, or further suggestions? (No, shaving the arms and legs isn't going to happen.)

Last edited:
It makes sense; most of us take better care of our faces than our hands/feet. I think exfoliating and keeping the skin moisturized can be very helpful.

I'm 53, and have noticed that, since I've started wetshaving, my complexion has improved dramatically. As for the rest of the body, I doubt there's time for that much concentrated attention. I'm not sure I want to spend that long on something most people will never see.

Don't know the answer, but there's no harm to a little daily exfoliation; probably speeds cell turnover, which would keep the skin healthier. I use a poof thingy for my shower everyday; it provides a bit of scrubbing action and some mild exfoliation. An additional benefit is that it lathers up a bath soap the way your shaving brush lathers up your shaving soap or cream; therefore I get mounds of nice-smelling lather in the shower, too.

Works for me.

I saw that one coming - my original post before editing read "brush, loofah, or poofy thing in the shower." I'm considering an ayate washcloth.

Last edited:
I think you are going through a natural part of the aging process where your skin will get thinner and drier. Make sure you are getting enough water and find a moisturizer to use. If this doesn't help see a dermatologist.

Shaving every day does exactly the opposite of toughening up your skin. If you want to toughen it up then don't protect it so dead skin callouses build. My feet are tough as leather from wearing nothing but boots for years and never taking a pumice stone to them, and my hands tough from lifting flight cases and playing guitar. Yet my face is baby smooth from using a straight razor

Top Bottom