What's new

Do blades expire?

Hi, I have a question about blades. More precisly, when you buy blades in large quantities, like 800, or so, what happens to them after some years? Lets say I want to buy 800 blades, because its just cheaper that way. I would use about 50 a year, so I get about 16yrs worth of usage. But, will they not start to loose their edge eventually? Like when people find of Gillettes and things with old blades, those blades are useless.

Hi, I have a question about blades. More precisly, when you buy blades in large quantities, like 800, or so, what happens to them after some years? Lets say I want to buy 800 blades, because its just cheaper that way. I would use about 50 a year, so I get about 16yrs worth of usage. But, will they not start to loose their edge eventually? Like when people find of Gillettes and things with old blades, those blades are useless.

As far as I know they only expire after about 5 shaves.

Not if they are packed and stored correctly. The only reason it is not recommended to use old blades in vintage razor cases etc is they they may have been subject to bacteria, water damage and many other nasties.

If you bought a box of brand new blades and didn't open them, i'm sure in 15 years time they would shave just fine.

New blades are all stainless and coated so unless you really store them poorly they should be good for a very long time. many of the older blades were carbon steel and over time rust and corrode and if someone else stored them you never know where or how they were stored.

Alright, thanks. I may go for one of these huge amounts some time in the future. Will just be cheaper in the long run.

I generally like to keep enough on hand to pass down the line to my ancestors on whatever starship they may be, can enjoy bbs shaves well into the future.

:thumbsup:

I store my razor blades in a hermetically sealed titanium box which is vacuumed sealed welded shut and filled with argon gas!

Top Bottom