What's new

R.I.P. Merkur Futur...Long live the 38C

I just retired my Futur as soon as I used my new 38C. I liked Futur, but the 38C is a work of brilliance. I am no expert but I have not seen such a simple concept be so effective. What's amazing is that it is non-adjustable, but who cares!

The head of the 38C is much flatter than Futur, so it can get under my schnoz easily. The dome-like curvature is much less pronounced. However, if you like a weighty razor, the 38C will be excellent as it weighs as much or more than Futur.

The kicker is that when the head screws on, it bends the blade along its length to fit along the head perfectly, and to expose the blade's edges at an optimal angle. This was not the case, as far as I can tell, with Futur. Perhaps other Merkur models also use this mechanism to fit the blade in the head so well.

Anyway, I highly recommend the 38C.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, the 38C has a head that is identical to the "normal" heads, as found, for example, on the Classic and Hefty Classic. Thus, it's been around for decades (almost a century, I guess). The only difference is the handle.

I personally, sold my 38C and kept the Futur, because I have a much better feel for the Futur when it comes to balancing the razor and applying the proper amount of pressure. I do agree, however, that the head assembly of the Futur is a bit large. As usual: YMMV.

As to bending the blade, I think, they all do that to a similar extent. In fact, the blade must be bent to give it the proper stability.

Best - MM

The 38C, which is the new an improved Merkur HD with a more beautiful and longer handle is definitely tempting me. I like my HD, but would like a little longer handle, not much just a little more. As for Futur or Vision, they just look to big for me, just my opinion.

I just retired my Futur as soon as I used my new 38C. I liked Futur, but the 38C is a work of brilliance. I am no expert but I have not seen such a simple concept be so effective. What's amazing is that it is non-adjustable, but who cares!

The head of the 38C is much flatter than Futur, so it can get under my schnoz easily. The dome-like curvature is much less pronounced. However, if you like a weighty razor, the 38C will be excellent as it weighs as much or more than Futur.

The kicker is that when the head screws on, it bends the blade along its length to fit along the head perfectly, and to expose the blade's edges at an optimal angle. This was not the case, as far as I can tell, with Futur. Perhaps other Merkur models also use this mechanism to fit the blade in the head so well.

Anyway, I highly recommend the 38C.

Welcome to the 38C club!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!! I just ordered a 38C from Lee's Razors....

Of course you did-RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

The 38C, which is the new an improved Merkur HD with a more beautiful and longer handle is definitely tempting me. I like my HD, but would like a little longer handle, not much just a little more. As for Futur or Vision, they just look to big for me, just my opinion.

Just in case you didn't see/get the above: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
(whoa-twice in one post :ihih: )

Marty

If I had to make a choice, I'd do the same. I like the 38C, but much MUCH prefer the Futur.
But as is often said .............. YMMV
I don't have the 38C, but I have the 12C (open comb) and the Slant on the same handle. I also have a Futur. Like all of them, will keep all of them! They all do a really good job of shaving, I just like the variety...:thumbup1:

This starting to sound like the SLR craze of the 70's. The way to increase sales is to bring out a new model. It generates interest and needed or not stimulates sales.

Top Bottom