Thread: Best Shavette for Newbie?

Images

Default Best Shavette for Newbie?

Hey guys! I have many hobbies so my time shaving is limited. I would love to straight razor shave just to give it a whirl! Can you guys recommend a good "shavette" razor? I'm not sure if thats a brand name or the general term for a straight with a replaceable blade. Any info is appreciated!
    -Foxhole Shaver-

im just starting out on "straight" razor, and i bought myself a feather DX (teak). i dont believe in buying into entry level products, but the best. that way, you only get the finest, and you only have to buy it once.

i know some people will disagree that a feather is not a true straight, nor is it the "best". i cant comment on the feather DX straight yet, as Im still waiting for it to arrive from the usa.
    Currently own: Feather DX teak scales; Gillette Fatboy;Tech 40 Aluminium; Tech 50 Ball end

I have been using a Weck Sextoblade and haven't been using many DE's for the last 3ish weeks. I think they are great! It uses hair shaper type blades and not the 1/2 DE blades.

Images

Every straight basically boils down to a sharp razor edge on a stick. They all give great shaves in different ways, kinda like choosing between Japanese, Italian, Chinese and Mexican....restaurants or otherwise...:).

Read up a little and go get yerslef one and start shaving! If you like it you will probably end up with all kinds of straights anyways, traditional and disposable.
    ~ ​​Kent
    <[Self-certified Straight Shaver]>
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

Images

Right!

Buy a Parker shavette, use it. Justify "trying other straights", next thing you know your medicine ca inet will be overflowing like all the rest of us nutjobs.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Right!

Buy a Parker shavette, use it. Justify "trying other straights", next thing you know your medicine ca inet will be overflowing like all the rest of us nutjobs.
    Well said

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

Yup, the Parker is a very nice disposable blade straight. Of the 3 models they have I like the SRW the best.
    Regards, Paul

Images

+1 on the Parker. They're solidly made, hold a blade well and reasonably priced

Images

I feel guilty how much I enjoy using my Parker. Sharp blades are pennies a pop, as opposed to Feather/KAI blades, and it doesn't feel like a total piece of cheap junk.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

rockviper is offline I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiis big!
    Images

So the Parker definitely gets the nod over the Dovos?
    Me likey soaps ~Sam ... 3017ing RazoRock XXX ... ........ ......... ....... .... ...... ...... ............ In memory of Sue
    Incompetent Steward of the Straight Razor and Journals and Diaries fora
    New to B&B? Stop by the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself! ... ...
    Experimenting with straights, or new to DEs and wetshaving in general? Start a journal ... You'll be surprised at what you can learn!

The only shavette I have tried is the Parker SRW, and I have used it every single day since it's arrival(note sig). I am definitely an advocate.
    Paul - Cartridge to shavette: 4/20/2011. Shavette to straight: 10/13/2011.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockviper View Post
    I believe the blade holding system in Dovo shavettes is pretty crappy

Quote Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
    I believe the blade holding system in Dovo shavettes is pretty crappy
    I bought one off the BST and I can't get the blades in there either. I think I'm going to order some Single Edge blades like that one that comes with the Dovo and see if that helps. I kept cutting my finger trying to get the blade to load and I couldn't get it situated right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    I feel guilty how much I enjoy using my Parker. Sharp blades are pennies a pop, as opposed to Feather/KAI blades, and it doesn't feel like a total piece of cheap junk.
    I actually make myself not enjoy my Parker since I have so much money sunk into stainless steel Feathers...how can I rationalize that a 17.00 shavette shaves as well as a 250.00 teak handled marvel of engineering?!? YMMV
    ~ ​​Kent
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

the satisifaction of seeing the teak scales and feeling the sheer difference in quality. not sure you can justify the huge jump in price tho. even when buying used, the jump in price is mind boggling.
    Currently own: Feather DX teak scales; Gillette Fatboy;Tech 40 Aluminium; Tech 50 Ball end

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    the satisifaction of seeing the teak scales and feeling the sheer difference in quality. not sure you can justify the huge jump in price tho. even when buying used, the jump in price is mind boggling.
    I was talking with tongue in cheek :). I love my DX and SS, but the Parker will shave just as well despite the cost difference.
    ~ ​​Kent
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

Images

For the price the wahl shavetts are really good! they are all stainless with plastic scales and dont cost much more then $10

http://www.hbwa.com.au/prod607.htm

Here is one i rescaled
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shavett custom scales rev3 photo4.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	191078

But if money isnt an issue get a feather!

I have to admit thouhgh, the parker is probably better the the wahl by looking at the photos of them!
    Last edited by Brighty83; 09-17-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Chris - I may be a n00b to B&B but I'm not a n00b with straights!

Quote Originally Posted by rockviper View Post
    One nice thing about doves is you can put bigger blades in them but if you search the forum you can find instructions on how to modify a feather blade to fit a Parker.
    ~~~~ Brent

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    One nice thing about doves is you can put bigger blades in them but if you search the forum you can find instructions on how to modify a feather blade to fit a Parker.
    I use the large personna hair shaper blades in my dovo and get a very good shave from it, i know a lot of you guys don't like the hair shaper blades but i prefer them because they don't flex and the size.
    Chris - I may be a n00b to B&B but I'm not a n00b with straights!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dpmtherrien View Post
    Yup, the Parker is a very nice disposable blade straight. Of the 3 models they have I like the SRW the best.
    I've only tried the all-metal looking Parker. What's the difference between the different kinds?

I like the SRW's design better than mine with the big corny "hygienic quality" written on the side.