What's new

Edwin Jagger De89 or Merkur 34C

I am sending my 1946 Aristocrat in for Rhodium plating. I am also returning my Merkur Futur to Amazon, so I will need an replacement for the Aristocrat while it is being replated. I am returning the Futur because it does not give me a close shave even after messing with the settings, and the first time using the Aristocrat I had an perfect shave. BBS no problems at all with the Aristocrat so I am looking for an similar razor. The two I am debating about are the EJ De89 and the Merkur 34C which one will be closest to the 46 Aristocrat? Any recommendations on either - shipping is not a problem since they are both available for delivery on Tuesday.

Would have liked to get an Fatboy but do not want to take my chances on ebay auctions and slow deliveries.

DE89.

I'm shocked to hear the Futur did not provide a close shave. I find it the second best razor I've ever used. Second to the DE89.
I sold all my razors, mostly Merkur, when I got the DE89. The only one I kept was the Futur.

The Aristocrat is my third favorite. You may not want to return to the Aristocrat once you use the DE89. They are quite similar, but the DE89 wins it for me.

I have a 34C. Itisthe only razor I have ever used, so I am not much of a resource. I find it to be a quality razor for me and would recommend.

There seems to be no one that doesn't like the EJ DE89. I have one. I also have a Merkur 38C. I love 'em both. I like the 38C.....better. I like the weight and it just seems to give me a closer shave. In spite of criticism I've heard I can find fault in construction. So I'll say what surprisingly nobody has said yet, get them both!

Completely agree with the DE89, don't even hesitate. Your only real obstacle is deciding if you want the DE89 (smooth handle) or the DE89L (lined handle).

Thank you guys, I purchased a DE89 and it will be here Tuesday. The Aristocrat should be at the plating company on Friday for two weeks so it looks like me and the Edwin Jagger will be getting close. :)

I bought the ej89 didn't give me a close enough shave. Ended up buying the HD after and it was a game changer. Since I have bought the slant, the vision, and many others. They all seem to be more focused on performance and the ej seems to be more focused on looks. I don't care about looks when I buy I new razor. If I want looks I'll look at my vintage Gillette's. Although merkurs shave better for me than those two.

Thank you guys, I purchased a DE89 and it will be here Tuesday. The Aristocrat should be at the plating company on Friday for two weeks so it looks like me and the Edwin Jagger will be getting close. :)

The plating and finish on the EJ is unreal. Just preparing you! [emoji106]
But most importantly it is excellent shaver. The head design is one of the best available in the market today.

Not a fan of the EJ89. purchased one from Bull goose with the bulldog handle, etc. Just doesnt work for me. Love my 34c. YMMV

Neither. Parker 24C. It is very mild and smooth and fits both beginners and experienced shavers. This one has such narrow gap that you cut yourself more easily with EJ DE89 or Merkur 34C.

This is imho the best beginners razor. EJ is selling this one under the Parker name.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Going against the flow, I say Merkur 34C. The handle is more in line with what I prefer and it has a more vintage look. EJ is too long.

I use to have a Murker 34c and the blade alignment was pretty bad. I now have the Muhle 89 grande. Loving it more and more with each use.

Top Bottom