What's new

Starting out with straights- is this a good starting set- Questions.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and extremely excited about delving into the world of wet shaving with a straight. I absolutely hate electrics, hate disposables, hate the canned shaving gels/creams and have been tolerating a 5 blade gillette razor. Sick of it. I want to enjoy the ritual of shaving, not loathe it.

After much research on prices and company reputations, I've decided to go with a starter's set from straightrazordesigns.com and I wanted you experts out there to confirm whether or not these are all worthy products for me and if it's a good deal at $160:

-5/8 Dovo best quality razor with black scales
-2'' SRD latigo strop
-Shaving mug
-SRD shaving soap (I can choose between 12 different scents)
-Simpson Beaufort 4 Pure Badger Brush
-Brush stand
-Styptic pencil

I was especially attracted by the fact that they hone your razor and it comes completely shave ready. I think individually all of those items would cost $210+

Now, I don't know if it matters or not, but I have a thin, angular face and do not grow thick/dense facial hair. It's sparse/patchy. My British friend called it fashionably patchy lol.

So is that a good razor? Good size for me to start with? Good brush? Is there anything else that I would want/need? I was thinking of purchasing some aftershave and matching cologne separately and maybe some preshave oil. Recommendations for oil? If you're familiar with the SRD shaving soap, is there a particular scent that you highly recommend? I'm 24 and worried that certain scents might smell a bit too mature/older man for me.

Last question: I smoke cigarettes and was wondering if there is a shaving soap/aftershave scent I can buy somewhere that somewhat blends well with the scent of tobacco. Two blocks away from me here in Chicago I have what is apparently and awesome shop called Merz Apothecary that sells tons of shaving stuff where I can smell various soaps. Supposedly they have a good selection. It was voted 12th best boutique in the world by a certain magazine whose name is escaping me.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being part of this online community. As a previous lurker I've seen that it's a respectful community of gentlemen who appreciate the finer things in life and I hope I can fit in well despite my young age.

That's a good starter kit for sure.

Finding a scent that "blends" with tobacco is worse. When you smoke cigs there's not a scent of tobacco really, you flat out stink, and there's not much you can do about it. I know as I smoke myself. Just find something you are happy with. :001_smile

Yeah, I should've figured. You're right it's not the scent of tobacco on your clothes afterwards. Oh well, I only smoke 2-3 cigarettes per day these days so it's not a big issue. I mostly use my electronic cigarette.

I'd get a budget strop first - something you don't mind adding a few nicks to. Because you will nick it, oh yes, you will :laugh:

It's worth getting a poor man's strop kit from Larry at whippeddog.com - you also get neatsfoot which you can use on your latigo once you feel confident you're not going to slice it and a balsa strop for touching up the blade

From what I have seen looking around myself that seems like a good deal. My first non-disposable straight will come from Larry at whippeddog. You could check him out then go over to Merz and find a brush, stand, oil, saop and AS that you like the smell of. Just my 2 cents. Welcome. I just recently quit smoking and used Altoids mints, they worked very well for me.

I recently quit too :thumbup1: almost 3 weeks of nothing to smoke whatsoever and no nicotine replacement products. Cold turkey is the only way that works IMHO, I tried with gum in the past but I always went back to cigs

Blix is right about it making you stink, I don't think you truly appreciate how much until you go a few days without and your sense of smell comes back! :blink:

I just did a quick read and like your set except for the Pure Badger Brush. Your best value is in a Best Badger or a quality boar bristle by Omega or Semogue. I just checked out SRD, and they say you can upgrade to another brush. I'd recommend the Duke 2 in Best Badger.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Choosing_your_first_shaving_brush

The shaving mug: I'd upgrade to one of the black mugs, priced from $17-$26. Black is visually easier to lather in, and I think those mugs are larger than the one included in your kit.

It is a good razor, and a good size for you. I've tried pre shave oil and don't care for the results. I'd bet with your beard you won't need any, if you do a decent prep and lather job. Keep in mind lathering is it's own skill, so it is often recommended you have practice lathering sessions between shaves.

Their scents? I'd go for Vetiver, Lavender, or Lime. Also, you can get samples for $.80 each, which may be fun.

Merz is certainly worth a visit! The scent of the soap or cream doesn't last at all, so it is important only during shaving. Some popular soaps or creams lather exceptionally well, but their scent throws me off. Your choice of after shave or after shave balm is more important for it's scent.

SRD is a good company! It is also cool to get a free re-honing included!

I seem to have raised the amount of your bargain kit. I think these additions or modifications are a better value, though.

I hope I can fit in well despite my young age.
Age is no barrier here!

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
I have purchased a lot of items from SRD. They have good prices. Their hones typically are lower than Amazon.com. And, you are definitely getting good value in the items you selected.

I just did a quick read and like your set except for the Pure Badger Brush. Your best value is in a Best Badger or a quality boar bristle by Omega or Semogue. I just checked out SRD, and they say you can upgrade to another brush. I'd recommend the Duke 2 in Best Badger.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Choosing_your_first_shaving_brush

The shaving mug: I'd upgrade to one of the black mugs, priced from $17-$26. Black is visually easier to lather in, and I think those mugs are larger than the one included in your kit.

It is a good razor, and a good size for you. I've tried pre shave oil and don't care for the results. I'd bet with your beard you won't need any, if you do a decent prep and lather job. Keep in mind lathering is it's own skill, so it is often recommended you have practice lathering sessions between shaves.

Their scents? I'd go for Vetiver, Lavender, or Lime. Also, you can get samples for $.80 each, which may be fun.

Merz is certainly worth a visit! The scent of the soap or cream doesn't last at all, so it is important only during shaving. Some popular soaps or creams lather exceptionally well, but their scent throws me off. Your choice of after shave or after shave balm is more important for it's scent.

Great responses and suggestions guys. I didn't even think about how a black mug would be better to see the lather in. I'll definitely be smelling some soaps at Merz. So just to be clear: I should just choose a soap that I enjoy the smell of during my morning routine and it won't interfere with any aftershave or cologne I wear after?

I've watched a lot of videos showing proper stropping. What is the mistake that people make that cause them to nick their strop? Is it not being gentle and not simply using the weight of the blade to make the gliding motion?

Lastly, yes I can upgrade brushes in the SRD set, but the duke 2 is not one of the options. I am now thinking of upgrading to the Stephen's Woodworking SRD Silvertip brush #1. How's the quality on that one do you think? See for me, rather than buy a bunch of "beginners" strops/razors etc, I'd rather start off with some really great quality and not have to worry about it again until I'm rich and money is no issue :)

Thanks guys.

Well, I took some of the advice here and what I ended up doing was ordering the straight razor 5/8 dovo, the SRD shaving soap sampler pack, and a Pacific nick stick from SRD ($101 total), then I ordered the poor man's strop kit, a straight razor stand and a beautiful 22mm silvertip brush from whippeddog.com (total $42). I couldn't be more excited to receive them this week :) I hope I made good choices.

Sweet choices!

I should just choose a soap that I enjoy the smell of during my morning routine and it won't interfere with any aftershave or cologne I wear after?
I'd be very surprised if any soap or cream conflicted with after shave products. At least the many that I use are not strong smelling and don't last at all.

What is the mistake that people make that cause them to nick their strop?
For me it was usually that split second of inattention, usually after turning the blade over for the opposite draw.

Your silver tip brush will be fun to use. It may be too floppy to load soaps easily, many are. ...and many expensive silver tips are a bit floppy also. I think you did the right thing! At some point, do go for a Semogue Boar brush. Pretty amazing, and almost the opposite of any silver tip I own.

Have fun, and let us know how your shave goes!

The Merz in Lincoln Square is incredible. I haven't been to the one in the loop. It's hard not to drop rent every time I go in there.

Nice set-up for sure. Sandalwood always goes nice with tobacco...earthy and musky :wink2:

Top Bottom