What's new

TGN boars

Has anyone used them? I was wondering how they compare to a Semogue or an Omega. I know that both TGN and Semogue have different grades any input would be appreciated

Felt like my TGN boar broke in faster than my Semogue did. I have only used it a handful of times and it already feels really nice to face lather with. It TEARS through soaps as well, really nice when I want to lather up Mama Bear :) . If you have a handle to put it in I would say definitely worth it. That said, I believe the TGN boars are just Omega knots?

I purchased one of the UK cream boar knots (I don't think they are available anymore) and it is horrible. It is a complete shedder and is smaller at the top than at the base. For this reason I have not fully broken it in because it is simply not comfortable to use (knot is too pointed and looses too much hair).

I never did contact the vendor because I hoped it would get better. The sad thing is that it was a restore (obviously) and I really like the handle. As stated earlier, I don't think this knot is available anymore so this is really a moot point anyway.

-CZ

I purchased one of the UK cream boar knots (I don't think they are available anymore) and it is horrible. It is a complete shedder and is smaller at the top than at the base. For this reason I have not fully broken it in because it is simply not comfortable to use (knot is too pointed and looses too much hair).

I never did contact the vendor because I hoped it would get better. The sad thing is that it was a restore (obviously) and I really like the handle. As stated earlier, I don't think this knot is available anymore so this is really a moot point anyway.

-CZ

Looks like he has 2 omegas and these
http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=194
they are listed as UK/Vulfix. Is this the knot that you got?

Those are the banded version, but are the same UK knots. I like my boars to look like boars so I got the cream version. You can see my restore in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/194769-Rubberset-153-amp-203?highlight=Flat_tire

On the other hand, the finest knot is fabulous and gets used 19 out of 20 times.

Thanks,
CZ

Edit: just went and checked this knot to make sure I wasn't overly harsh. Rubbed it for a few seconds dry on my hand and three more hairs fell out.

Probably another reason I didn't contact the seller is that I had just spent so much time restoring the handle and the idea of getting a $12 refund just seemed disappointing.

Last edited:
I got http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=325 sorry to take so long to clarify. I think it has shed maybe two hairs. It is starting to bloom a little and the hairs are starting to split nicely. I will say that a couple hairs did split at the wrong end lol. Like there is a split near the base of the knot as opposed to the top. I can't say that mine has been bad though. I'll drop an update after I use it a few more times (I'll lather my MWF with it tomorrow and try to remember to take pictures :) ).

The knots in the Omega brushes can apparently be removed intact fairly easily, and that could give you a wider variety of knot sizes to work with.

Top Bottom