What's new

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. sharpening stone/ hone, Hydroform Process

Does anyone know anything about this company? Here is the listing for this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cin...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f0d5d63b9#ht_1222wt_1396

I don't own a hone and have no clue about them at this point, but someday I plan to learn to hone my razors. I am from Cincinnati (just moved to fort worth 2 1/2 years ago from there) and love the rich history of the place and anything related to it. This would be a cool piece if it is any good at all.

Thanks to anyone who can help! :biggrin1:

I don't know anything about that hone either, but if you are new to honing, I will throw these thoughts out...

The hone is 8" long, and it looks like 2" wide (although he lists it as 1" wide). An 8x2 hone is a good size, at least by my standards. Lots of people work on hones that are wider, a lot work on hones that are more narrow, but 2" wide is pretty standard. 8" long is actually quite long. I have heard of hones being anywhere from about 4" long all the way up to 10", and they all work. The thickness of the hone (in this case 1") gives you an idea of how long it will last. 1" should have lots of life!

This hone looks pretty coarse (it could just be "marbled" or not so great pictures...), and maybe about the same as my "coarse" Norton which is about 100 grit, and no good for honing. Anything under 200 or 300 grit just isn't good on a razor (in my experience). Even at 2 or 300 grit, those stones would only be used to work on major blemishes like chips and nicks, you would still need a stone to set the bevel, and others to take you up to finishing. I could be way off with my estimate, and if it is more fine than I am guessing, it could be worth the money. If it is in the 100 grit neighborhood, maybe you could use it for re-profiling razors with bad damage, but my coarse Norton is no good at it.

Before using any hone (with the exception of ceramic hones [like the Spyderco Fine, Spyderco UltraFine] and diamond hones [maybe some others too]) you will have to lap them flat. This one looks like it could use a good lapping, especially since there appears to be surface blemishes on both large surfaces.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks PapaFish! Any help I can get is useful, whether it be with this hone or any. I appreciate you taking the time to write out such a response!

Top Bottom