What's new

Newbie with some newbie advice on blade angle

I have been wetshaving for over a year and just started using a DE blade about a month ago. I decided to post this, since I notice that the best advice comes from fellow newbies since veterans are just "used to it".

I have read almost all the posts here on B&B about blade angle and pressure and I still didn't really know what the proper technique was since I always get razor burn and eventually razor bumps from scrapping my skin.

Alright, we all know that we need to keep the blade angle at about 30 degrees, and that we should think about it as "gliding the blade over the skin", etc... all these are great but I have discovered a technique by accident that I think really helps since it is very visual and easy to do.

What I did was I placed a piece of paper on a flat table (with some protection under it as to not scratch the table) and I simply ran a razor containing a blade over it, as if I am shaving the paper.

To my surprise, what I found immediately was that the blade angle I was using was causing the razor to tear or rip the paper since it was too steep. So I adjusted it so that the blade was as close as possible to the paper without ripping it. I ran the razor over the paper a dozen more times until it was flawless. Aim for shaving the paper without cutting it.

I am guessing that if you were to shave at the same angle that caused the razor to cut paper, then you would also be cutting your skin.

I then shaved while keeping this image in mind and I got a shave with much less irritation and razor burn.

I hope this helps fellow newbies out there who are still confused about blade angle and get razor burns.

Last edited:
since I notice that the best advice comes from fellow newbies since veterans are just "used to it".

Dang! That has a little sting, like some aftershaves!

So what kind of paper did you use? How did you think of trying out this experiment? It is an interesting experiment, and with luck will help a lot of newbies who have trouble with razor angle. Thanks for posting!

I was watching the Mantic59 videos ( you do know about them right?) and I watched his, what you could call exaggerated, form in getting the angle. He would put the top of the razor head to his face and then tip it till he got the angle he wanted. It works. Of course I would think after a few times you wouldn't have to do that every time but it worked for me. Much like we do in martial arts. Train with and exaggerated form first.

Welcome to B&B!

Dang! That has a little sting, like some aftershaves!

I was in no way being insulting. Perhaps my wording was wrong, what I meant was that newbies tend to have a lot of problems and they come up with different ways of solving them which is no doubt helpful to new shavers. Of course advice from veterans are very useful as well!

So what kind of paper did you use? How did you think of trying out this experiment?

I was getting a lot of razor burn, just splashing some cold water on after a shave would sting my neck. I decided to just run the razor on the inside of my hand to see what was going on up close and I got scrapped a little and I saw an envelope right beside me and decided to test it on that instead.

I was getting a lot of razor burn, just splashing some cold water on after a shave would sting my neck. I decided to just run the razor on the inside of my hand to see what was going on up close and I got scrapped a little and I saw an envelope right beside me and decided to test it on that instead.

Cool! I'm glad your curious mind looked for some solution to your razor burn, and you used what was at hand. (pun intended!) I'd like to know if any others tried this out with paper, and if so, what their observations were.

I'll keep this in mind, as well as the arm shave. I'm having a bit of trouble that I mostly attribute to blade angle, though mine is from me having to make several passes when touching up any missed spots.

I'll see if working on blade angle helps.

Thanks for posting this idea. I am one "veteran" who likes to hear more suggestions from new shavers. When I branched out to SE shaving I had to adjust my blade angle a bit and at that time I no longer felt like a vet! :w00t:

There is a IMO surely a grain of truth in that when you are more experienced with something muscle memory comes into play. For me, in the case of shaving, sound is the guide. I know I have a good blade angle when it sounds right as I shave. I have no idea what angle I shave at with any of my razors, DE, SE, or straights, but if it sounds right it does not matter, the shave will be fine.

So, the proposition that those of us more experienced, and in my case > 40 years of shaving with every contraption known to man, may not be best able to help new folks may well have some merit. When I turn people on to single blade edge shaving of any kind, they often ask how do I know if I have it right. When I answer that it will sound right, I do get some very puzzled looks. :001_rolle

Doni, thanks very much for sharing this! I think I'll give it a try. As I just shaved a beard I've had for a long time, I'm trying to figure out what's causing my irritation; the cream, the blade, the technique, all of the above, or just my not having shaved in almost a badger's age. :001_smile

I have been wetshaving for over a year and just started using a DE blade about a month ago. I decided to post this, since I notice that the best advice comes from fellow newbies since veterans are just "used to it".

I have read almost all the posts here on B&B about blade angle and pressure and I still didn't really know what the proper technique was since I always get razor burn and eventually razor bumps from scrapping my skin.

Alright, we all know that we need to keep the blade angle at about 30 degrees, and that we should think about it as "gliding the blade over the skin", etc... all these are great but I have discovered a technique by accident that I think really helps since it is very visual and easy to do.

What I did was I placed a piece of paper on a flat table (with some protection under it as to not scratch the table) and I simply ran a razor containing a blade over it, as if I am shaving the paper.

To my surprise, what I found immediately was that the blade angle I was using was causing the razor to tear or rip the paper since it was too steep. So I adjusted it so that the blade was as close as possible to the paper without ripping it. I ran the razor over the paper a dozen more times until it was flawless. Aim for shaving the paper without cutting it.

I am guessing that if you were to shave at the same angle that caused the razor to cut paper, then you would also be cutting your skin.

I then shaved while keeping this image in mind and I got a shave with much less irritation and razor burn.

I hope this helps fellow newbies out there who are still confused about blade angle and get razor burns.

:thumbup1:

Interesting 6 weeks in I find that blade angle is my biggest area needing improvement

I had the same revelation a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how I thought I was using the correct angle, but when I tried an angle I thought was waaay too shallow it was perfect.

The paper thing sounds like a neat trick. I'll give it a try out of pure curiosity.

That's a great visual and an easy way for folks to practice proper angle on something other than their face. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom