What's new

SWMBO doesn't like how I smell

I've been an Old Spice guy for a long, long time ... prior to getting into DE about 2 months ago. Since finding the forum, I've tried a few AS's in search of a scent which wifey-poo will really like. Here's where I'm at:

Old Spice (it's nice. at least you smell clean)
AV (that smells like my HS principal that I couldn't stand!)
Pinaud Clubman (you kinda smell like an old man)
Ogallala (it smells kinda like candy)
Proraso (it's ok)

Needless to say, it's been a bit of a let down. I'm sure others have gone thru this, so figured I'd get a thread started and see if anyone has employed some types of strategies to get thru this.

I'm thinking going Italian, or English? Maybe some light florals? I think the classic "manly" scents we all fell in love with at the barbershop ain't doing it.

Try some Floid Blue. That stuff is freakin' magical!

Oh, and if you like Bay Rum but didn't like Ogallala, look up our own Captain Pre Capsize. He makes his own bay rum brew called Captains Choice and it is fantastic!

Speick is highly recommended by many many a member.

Alt Innsbruck is also a nice AS. Nice menthol chill and its very light and fresh.

Them's my suggestions, for what their worth!

First thing I thought of was The VEG:lol:

SWMBO here is never up when I shave to leave in the morning so I splash on what ever I want on, Mostly O-RUB. Most aftershaves burn off quick anyway. Have you tried A/V Musk? I hear its good. You might take her and ask what she likes for smells and have her pick out a few that might be good. I did that with This and have been told to order more by fall since I just ran out. I say have fun with it and include her so its not your falt when she dislikes it:wink2:

My wife is extremely scent aversive, so I generally use unscented WH and forego cologne on days we get up at the same time.

If she's up and out of the house before me, I can safely hit up my stash of good smelling stuff.

My wife thus far likes Myrsol Agua Balsamica, Floid, and Grafton.

Much to my dismay my Dominica Bay Rum makes me smell like a, "Chilean dentist." I guess that's why it resides in my cabinet at work instead of home.

Hmmm... They still make English Leather and British Sterling. Good for a little nostalgia. Personally, I'd like to find some Hai Karate just to see what it smelled like. Loved the commercials. lol If you are really daring, you might seek out some Siete Machos, albeit that seems to be cologne. Say, you could ask her what her dad wore, if anything.

musgo real! it's pretty manly
or maybe something like swiss pitralon, it smells like pears...

get like 20 samples and have her smell them all :001_rolle

I'd also suggest trying the ones she disliked on a different week and not tell her what it was. I think a lot of women just say they like something or not depending on the mood they are in...I've had the full range of hatred to love for the exact same scent on different days.

My wife is only marginally interested in scents, both for herself and what I wear unless it really irritates her. To my surprise she has spontaneously commented that I smell good when wearing DR Harris Bay Rum as AS. She also commented positively on Penhaligon Sartorial and Aramis Tuscany.

+Italian Floid Blue, or Italian Floid Amber. Thank me later.

You can also try Lucky Tiger Bay Rum.

I got lucky. The wife took a liking to my Masters Bay Rum, pretty much ending my run of ASAD. Although I still want to try Dominca Bay Rum (reg and Lime)

I think that you're just asking for trouble if you're asking your wife what she likes. You're the one wearing it and you're better off to just wear whatever you want. You don't ask her about your socks in the morning, do you? My suspicion is that most women don't care one way or another, but if you press them they'll tell you. Why not perpetuate the mystery? Splash on that Clubman in the morning and get to it. If you find your wife in tears that evening, maybe rethink your position. Otherwise, suit yourself.

I think womens sniffers just aren't as sensitive and finely tuned as us men. I mean, they splash so much of their foofoo all over themselves and bowl over a whole room when they walk in, smell up the place for hours after they leave, set allergies ablaze as they pass and are seemingly oblivious to it! Especially as they age! And do most of us complain? Nope! But boy will they tell you what they think of your subtle little AS splash...
Its wrong, wrong I tell ya!

Disclaimer:
All persons referenced in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :wink2:

I think womens sniffers just aren't as sensitive and finely tuned as us men. I mean, they splash so much of their foofoo all over themselves and bowl over a whole room when they walk in, smell up the place for hours after they leave, set allergies ablaze as they pass and are seemingly oblivious to it! Especially as they age! And do most of us complain? Nope! But boy will they tell you what they think of your subtle little AS splash...
Its wrong, wrong I tell ya!

Disclaimer:
All persons referenced in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :wink2:

LOL! I agree!

musgo real! it's pretty manly

+1! Musgo is a great one. These days I find I like the smell of La Toja products (soap, splash, balm), but they are hard to come by this side of the pond. I get lots of compliments from females when wearing La Toja.

I tried various Floids (Italian and Spanish) and neither I nor the females close to me liked the scents. I ended up selling my Italian Floid on BST. YMMV, of course...

Top Bottom