What's new

Insaniac99's Über Mega Brush Restoration and Making Topic of Mega Überness

$DSC02388.jpg
So I have 22 brushes I want to get into working condition, have a major ASBAD going on right now, and I have this huge bug to actually make my own (soon as I can acquire the funds to buy wood or find some scraps). I'm going to document my progress as I do this for my an others edification.

First I'm going to ID and note down the original knots on these so that, If I like, I can make them the same. Then I'll be cutting out the old knots and polishing the handles one by one. I expect to learn a lot while doing this and hopefully some of you will too, or at least see some cool brushes.

I got lucky in that my EverReadys are all in pretty good condition, they should be easy to clean up and reknot.
$DSC02394.jpg
Model: EverReady 180
Knot Type:
Synthetic
Knot Size:
~17mm (cheap digital caliper says 17.3)
Knot Loft:
~53mm (53.5)
Condition:
Pretty good, I wonder if this is the original knot. I think with simple cleaning and elbow grease this thing will look good as new, Bristles seem in great condition, maybe I won't remove this knot...

$DSC02395.jpg
Model: EveryReady 300E
Knot Type: Not sure, badger?
Knot Size:
21mm
Knot Loft:
46mm
Condition:
Bristles are dried and crack off easily, very annoying rattle sound inside handle that demands I reknot it even if I could restore the bristles scuff marks and a gunk

$DSC02396.jpg
Model: EverReady 100
Knot Type: boar?
Knot Size:
20mm
Knot Loft: 55mm
Condition:
The bristles seem lopsided but otherwise seem fine, handle could use some polishing, will probably set this aside while I decide whether or not to save the knot.

$DSC02398.jpg
Model: EverReady 200T
Knot Type: badger?
Knot Size:
20mm
Knot Loft:
54mm
Condition: What looks to be bite marks and scratches and a couple gouges out of the plastic handle, the knot is soft, but constantly losing hair.

$DSC02399.jpg
Model: EverReady 150
Knot Type: boar?
Knot Size:
22mm
Knot Loft:
48.4mm
Condition: I LOVE the color of this handle, there is a gouge or two in the black part, the knot is missing a lot out of it's center, lots of gunk on the handle.

I realize now I need to get much better at Identifying bristle types....

Awesome! Nice haul there. Should keep you busy for a while. Looking forward to seeing your work.
Have you ever restored a brush before?
One tip: Never assume something is going to be easy, lol.
Have fun!

Subscribed.

$DSC02403.jpg
Model: Klenzo B843
Knot Type: No Idea, bristles are so worn
Knot Size:
18.8mm (was able to fit the calipers in the hole while the knot was still there)
Knot Loft:
34.7 (for what remains of the knot)
Condition:
Yikes, the poor knot, it's toast. the top has some peeling or something, they look more like someone cut notches into the top... The bottom is heavily cracked and I don't know what I'm going to do with that. I might try sealing it up and then polish the sealant.

$DSC02405.jpg
Model: Unknown
Knot Type: badger
Knot Size:
23.6mm
Knot Loft: 54.8mm
Condition:
This is cool, the knot seems to be held in place by wood slats that are tightened by string or twine, I'm guessing hand-made. I would try to save the knot, but it sheds like crazy. the paint on the wood handle has lots of wear, probably will sand that down and repaint it.

$DSC02404.jpg
Model: Majestic
Knot Type: No Idea, boar?
Knot Size:
22,4mm (was able to fit the calipers in the hole while the knot was still there)
Knot Loft:
29.4 (for what remains of the knot)
Condition:
I think this might have one had one of those shiny stone on the bottom, at the very least the bottom is completely different material than the faux ivory handle. this should be an easy clean job.

$DSC02402.jpg
Model: Rubberset
Knot Type: I think I am beginning to embarrass myself with this part, if someone wants to chime in with the types, feel free.
Knot Size:
20.6mm
Knot Loft:
42mm
Condition:
This is in good condition, or at least better than some I've listed already. the bottom is covered in tiny little scratches, the black has some whit stuff on top that is either paint worn away or soap residue...

$DSC02406.jpg
Model: Dubl Duck 5
Knot Type: BoarKnot Size: 31mm
Knot Loft:
68mm
Condition:
This will be easy, some cleaning and the handle will look good as new and the knot spins freely, so that will be easy to get out.

Okay, I think 10 is enough for a first knot removal. so that's what I'll do next.

Looks like you're taking on quite a task! You've got some nice handles there that will yield some excellent finished brushes. My advice...start slow. Do one or two first and get a feel for the complete process. You'll have a much better idea of what you can do (and how to do it) with some experience.

A caution on the brush with the Nylon bristles...they're a pain in the butt to remove with power tools (Dremel, electric drill, etc.) since the Nylon melts easily when heated up by a rotating tool bit. It's doable, but start with something easier first!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow, subscribed.
If nothing else, this is a great place to store all the info and specs on those handles - this will be a much referenced thread (high impact factor....)

A caution on the brush with the Nylon bristles...they're a pain in the butt to remove with power tools (Dremel, electric drill, etc.) since the Nylon melts easily when heated up by a rotating tool bit. It's doable, but start with something easier first!
Wise words, those Nylon bristles are brutal!

Not to hijack, but Insaniac99's ER 180 has nylon bristles, so maybe this question will be of use to the OP, too. Any special advice on removing nylon bristles? I've just picked up an ER 500N lucite handle with nylon bristles that I plan to reknot, and I'd rather learn from someone else's experience than have my own. :lol:

Not to hijack, but Insaniac99's ER 180 has nylon bristles, so maybe this question will be of use to the OP, too. Any special advice on removing nylon bristles? I've just picked up an ER 500N lucite handle with nylon bristles that I plan to reknot, and I'd rather learn from someone else's experience than have my own. :lol:
I am not gonna reknot my nylon brush; mostly because I don't have a synthetic brush, but partly because this performs surprisingly well. But from what I've read, you make a decision on whether to use power tools (which means buying new bits when you are done) or going at it with a knife an pliers (lots of work)

I have removed all the knots, and found a perfect piece to make into a brush (two actually!) I'll post more updates today with lots of piccies!

looking forward to the updates.

so where do you guys keep finding these lots of handles?
my local antique stores never have anything.

Hey Insaniac99, let's shine up some handles today when I get home from work. We need an update on this post for all the subscribers! LOL Oh, and there should be some pics of the handles you created and the old handles you accidentally destroyed! Might as well entertain everyone so at least something good comes out of it. ;)

I've got some old brushes to work on, too. I just haven't been motivated or disciplined lately. Plus I'm lacking in the experience department. But me + Insaniac99 = two noobs are better than one! (maybe?)

How did I miss this? It really won't take much to put most of those brushes in stellar condition. Just be careful with the power tools, and it looks like it would be worth your while to get a drill or Dremel. I have done about 7 of these, I think, and only trashed one with a drill bit (straight through the side!). A variable speed drill used judiciously with sharp bits will quickly get the old knots out. Finish opening the holes with a Dremel sanding drum. So much variety there! Have fun plugging a variety of knots in those handles!

I'm most interested to see how the 150 and the Majestic turn out.

Excited to follow this.

I have restored 3 brushes so far and love doing it. Am definitely on the lookout for more handles.

Charlie

Top Bottom