What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Today my Mappin & Webb 11/16.

$Mappin & Webb.jpg

C.

$fullsizeoutput_793.jpg

Boker Tree Brand 5/8 with a set of really nice micarta scales. Hardly a remarkable razor but I have always liked it. If it were only a 6/8 or 7/8 (or even 8/8) I'd rank it up there in the top five of the quiver...

Was truly a joy to receive this untouched John & William Ragg, Napoleon,, that was sold as part of the family estate auction.

It was also very enjoyable and a great sense of accomplishment, after having been to a great meet my honing skills seem to have finally really come together and gone up a level thanks to some fine mentorship, as I thoroughly enjoyed taking this beautiful razor to the stones from bevel set to finish, and each step announced itself as I moved through bevel set to polishing, and finally a simply superb shave with this awesome piece of history.

Forgive me, I babble therefore I am....
proxy.php

Kanayama #3 Strop
Whistle Dog Scuttle
Morris & Forndran Shaving brush
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shaving Soap
Nivea Aftershave Balm

John & William Ragg, The Napoleon, straight razor - 1840 straight razor.

$SOTD-RAGGMOR0161021.jpg

Last edited:
Was truly a joy to receive this untouched John & William Ragg, Napoleon,, that was sold as part of the family estate auction.

It was also very enjoyable and a great sense of accomplishment, after having been to a great meet my honing skills seem to have finally really come together and gone up a level thanks to some fine mentorship, as I thoroughly enjoyed taking this beautiful razor to the stones from bevel set to finish, and each step announced itself as I moved through bevel set to polishing, and finally a simply superb shave with this awesome piece of history.

Forgive me, I babble therefore I am....
proxy.php

Kanayama #3 Strop
Whistle Dog Scuttle
Morris & Forndran Shaving brush
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shaving Soap
Nivea Aftershave Balm

John & William Ragg, The Napoleon, straight razor - 1840 straight razor.

View attachment 697107

Gorgeous!!

EA Berg
Allow me to bloviate a bit.
I had the bright idea awhile back to use this razor to learn to hone on. The steel is hard as all get out. It use to be 6/8. I don't know what it is now. It's not 6/8 I'll tell you that much [emoji23] It's my smallest razor yet one of my first and favorite because of the killer scales. It's signature scale work. Not hard to tell by who. Since I've been using this one to hone on she and I have developed a love-hate relationship. Clearly felt by both parties. I've honed this thing so many times, shaved with her, gone back to the stones, etc, etc. I almost threw it over the fence once along with my jnat. After each frustrating attempt I usually put her back in her box and store it in the far reaches of my closet. Out of sight out of mind.
Today I had some time so I took her out and went through my honing routine. I changed it up this time and finished on a light green Thuri. I palm stropped for the first time and then my usual 3 piece Kanayama stropping routine off the stones. Cut to the shave. As I'm on my last pass, last swipe of lather, I'm thinking, very loud, to myself, I am the baddest man on the pla…and at that very moment, the razor jumps out of my hand, as if saying,"I can't take this anymore." She hits the slip rug, and bounces two, maybe three times, on the Travertine floor. I watched it all in slow motion. I starred at her for a bit and thought there is no F'ing way she is not cracked. I picked her up, took my loop out, and miraculously, no damage. Hey Zeus this razor is hard. I put her to my face for a little touch up and finished what I started.
I'll leave you with this. I've since moved her from isolation back into rotation. It's a love-hate thing but I'll never part with her.
proxy.php

~Royce

EA Berg
Allow me to bloviate a bit.
I had the bright idea awhile back to use this razor to learn to hone on. The steel is hard as all get out. It use to be 6/8. I don't know what it is now. It's not 6/8 I'll tell you that much [emoji23] It's my smallest razor yet one of my first and favorite because of the killer scales. It's signature scale work. Not hard to tell by who. Since I've been using this one to hone on she and I have developed a love-hate relationship. Clearly felt by both parties. I've honed this thing so many times, shaved with her, gone back to the stones, etc, etc. I almost threw it over the fence once along with my jnat. After each frustrating attempt I usually put her back in her box and store it in the far reaches of my closet. Out of sight out of mind.
Today I had some time so I took her out and went through my honing routine. I changed it up this time and finished on a light green Thuri. I palm stropped for the first time and then my usual 3 piece Kanayama stropping routine off the stones. Cut to the shave. As I'm on my last pass, last swipe of lather, I'm thinking, very loud, to myself, I am the baddest man on the pla…and at that very moment, the razor jumps out of my hand, as if saying,"I can't take this anymore." She hits the slip rug, and bounces two, maybe three times, on the Travertine floor. I watched it all in slow motion. I starred at her for a bit and thought there is no F'ing way she is not cracked. I picked her up, took my loop out, and miraculously, no damage. Hey Zeus this razor is hard. I put her to my face for a little touch up and finished what I started.
I'll leave you with this. I've since moved her from isolation back into rotation. It's a love-hate thing but I'll never part with her.
proxy.php

~Royce
Great story Royce, thank you for sharing. I recall that I offered to take care of her after the "fence throwing incident" but I'm happy that your relationship has become more stable even if still a love/hate one. That reminds me of another member that has a kind of odd relationship with his CVH No.32. Isn't it fantastic to have a razor that's more than a beautiful piece of steel?

Top Bottom