What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Eskilstuna is a small town and it never has been a large town by any means, but at any given time (during the golden era) there were at least a dozen straight razor manufacturers active there, all of them cooperated and shared blanks, knowledge and materials. The craftsmen knew each other and often went from one employer to another. All manufacturers made their razors out of Bergslagen steel made from the purest iron ore in the world and no longer available. Only a small portion of the razors where larger than 5/8, but once properly honed the edge will be the sharpest and longest lasting there is. Several of you can verify the last statement.

What I am trying to say is; see beyond Heljestrand and explore other fine Swedish manufacturers like Törnblom, E.A. Berg, Söderén, Dahlström, Jernbolaget, SSA any many others. Try their nimble and viciously sharp 5/8 razors. You´ll most likely get shaves you´ll soon become addicted to, I am.

Today´s shave was the flagship model of Klas Törnblom (but also produced by other manufacturers). This version is rather uncommon since it is 11/16 and equipped with a thumb notch. This very thin bladed but hard razor type is gradually taking the pole position in my shaving universe.

Thank you for reading. I wish you all a very nice day.:001_smile

View attachment 597824

Interesting comments. When would you say was "the Golden Era"?

Showing off it's recently acquired thumb notch.

$DSCN1302.jpg

A truly splendid shave with my Fiat, which unlike the name would suggest is not Italian, but Japanese.
Nicely dressed in ebony with mother of pearl inlays.
$2015_09_01.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting comments. When would you say was "the Golden Era"?
About 1880 to 1939. After 1945 it was all downhill until Heljestrand finally shut down 1980. Even so I'd say that the razor quality was as good as ever or even better, but Schick and Gillette was the choice of the post war generations. I guess that very many/most that once started out shaving with straight razors remained faithful to it until death, but that it isn't until the last fifteen years or so that we've seen a beginning resurrection of the good old tradition.

It is indeed, Interesting stuff for sure. I was curious about "Ninus." The quality blade feel and performance is really exceptional. Any inference to Le Grelot would certainly explain that. Thanks, I appreciate that.

About 1880 to 1939. After 1945 it was all downhill until Heljestrand finally shut down 1980. Even so I'd say that the razor quality was as good as ever or even better, but Schick and Gillette was the choice of the post war generations. I guess that very many/most that once started out shaving with straight razors remained faithful to it until death, but that it isn't until the last fifteen years or so that we've seen a beginning resurrection of the good old tradition.

I would definitely agree. Using a straight is a skill which many generations missed out on entirely. Thanks for your response.

Top Bottom