What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

You guys are always up for a little story...not enough for a thread of its own....A couple months ago a non-straight-razor user guy from work came to my house to learn how to hone...he's just always wondered how it was done, he heard I did this, so we made a morning of it. He had a razor from his family, so we honed it up. Cool.

A week later, he stopped by my cube and handed me two scales he had made from scratch in thanks for the time spent. Interesting twist: he's a woodworker, never done razor scales before, and sawed-out my last name in one of the scales, then backfilled with JB Weld. In fact, he put JB Weld on the entire surface, then sanded it back, so it has little grey streaks in the wood. Cool! I found a very rusty beatup old 10 dollar rust bucket of a razor from an antique store (but it's a Joseph Allen and Sons / Sheffield, so it's heart is in the right place!) that fit the scales, and I thought I would try something new to me: make the blade shiny, but leave the patina. So I took the razor and started with 800 grit sandpaper and went through 2500grit+polish. kinda fun, I'll likely do it again...mirror polishes are overrated :).

So I brought it back to him and said "wanna finish it?" He then brings it back to me all assembled with a tulipwood wedge and an oak-sliver for a pivot pin. Unfortunately that fell out, but I've replaced it with just a brass 0-80 bolt/washers. I honed it up over a couple days (the bevel was wacked, so went DMT/4k/8k/CNAT/felt/latigo), and shaved it this morning (Clyde Otipoby mug, Proraso, and my silvertip bought from Larry A). Not bad for a non-user who had never done that before, eh? Pretty creative.

Love these 1/4 hollows...nice heavy grind, quite silent. Wife commented on the smooth cheeks!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for your attention....no need for comments.

Last edited:
Tonight it was a Griffon Carbo Magnetic...sent it to Brian (Paco664)to compare edges and he took me to school! This was probably the best edge I've shaved with and now I've got another level to shoot for. Thanks again Brian.
$Griffon Carbo Magnetic.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Just this Flic 644. Found it in an antique shop for little money, knocked the rust off it and honed her up. Man, what a great shaver. Very underrated brand.

proxy.php

I actually used 2 razors today, this is also posted in the SOTD forum.

Left side: 5/8 Dixon 'the new improved eagle' hollow ground in crosscut maple scales
right side: 6/8 W&B Barber 'The Celebrated' Extra hollow in burled maple 'Dog Bone' scales.

These are 2 of my favorite razors, both were done by a good friend. The Dixon has a sister he owns with matching scales as well.

I just got finished re-honing them and couldn't wait to shave with them today!!

Enjoy!

Mike

View attachment 232852

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
5/8 F.W. Engels #45 Solingen GR Made in Germany

I'm attempting a "daily driver" uber minimalism simplicity with this said razor til around Christmas and then I hope to reward myself with another straight perhaps. To be fair, I do have another Engels razor, a FWE "Special" 5/8 and my Great Great Grandfather's Wade & Butcher wedge that might see a bit of facetime as well. I have used this #45 Engels for over a week now and truly enjoy it!

Attachments

• $engels_1.jpg
    $engels_1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 128
  • $engels_2.jpg
    $engels_2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 127
I luv the looks of this razor! Lucky you...is this is the one you mentioned in the red imp wtb thread'
this looks very.similar in grind and shape to my Case 132 imp..The scales on your razor are gorgeous...

The 132 is a near wedge, this is as hollow grind as I have ever seen. Both great razors.

Top Bottom