What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Clauss

$DSC00537.jpg

MK 33 for me today.
Why are these razors so respected in these parts? Is it the elegant form of the blade? The ivory scales? The thumb notch? The legendary steel that takes and holds a fine edge? Well for me it's all those and one other thing. OK don't laugh but I feel that it's the shank that takes this razor to the next level. The bevel is shaped just right for my fingers - narrow without being too skinny - wide enough without being chunky. Easy to strop, too. All in all, she's a legend for many reasons and a keeper for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MK 33 for me today.
Why are these razors so respected in these parts? Is it the elegant form of the blade? The ivory scales? The thumb notch? The legendary steel that takes and holds a fine edge? Well for me it's all those and one other thing. OK don't laugh but I feel that it's the shank that takes this razor to the next level. The bevel is shaped just right for my fingers - narrow without being too skinny - wide enough without being chunky. Easy to strop, too. All in all, she's a legend for many reasons and a keeper for me.

That is One Beautiful Specimen Sando:w00t:

I think all of the above are absolutely true about why these are so respected here. I would also add that the elegance AND simplicity of the design also add to the lure of these blades. For me at least and I am sure I speak for at least a few others, the eloquent history lessons provided on them by our very own Arne,( [MENTION=85745]Polarbeard[/MENTION] ), also adds to the love of these fine Swedish Blades.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Valentines Day:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think all of the above are absolutely true about why these are so respected here. I would also add that the elegance AND simplicity of the design also add to the lure of these blades. For me at least and I am sure I speak for at least a few others, the eloquent history lessons provided on them by our very own Arne,( @Polarbeard ), also adds to the love of these fine Swedish Blades.

Thanks, D. I'm lucky to have this razor.
Yes, I respect Arne's opinion. He writes with the passion that comes from experience and enjoyment of the subject.

First rule of the den is "shave smooth and clean" second rule be pretty.
This black widow satisfied the second rule out of Wacker's factory but not the first. In fact my first shave with this Fräulein was a bit harsh...She needed the stone

Honed it yesterday with lots of love. Just completed an outstanding 3 pass. No pressure no nicks no cuts. Knife in hot butter.

Pure happiness and .....hopefully a quiet sleep!

Danke sehr herr Wacker

I think all of the above are absolutely true about why these are so respected here. I would also add that the elegance AND simplicity of the design also add to the lure of these blades. For me at least and I am sure I speak for at least a few others, the eloquent history lessons provided on them by our very own Arne,( [MENTION=85745]Polarbeard[/MENTION] ), also adds to the love of these fine Swedish Blades.

Thanks, D. I'm lucky to have this razor.
Yes, I respect Arne's opinion. He writes with the passion that comes from experience and enjoyment of the subject.
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Recently I've done some more digging into the origins of the Heljestrand thumb notch series. I've also acquired two more of the first generation of these razors. This is one of them a Jernbolaget most likely manufactured sometime around 1915. The ivory is really nice and the old lady is in good condition. She hasn't forgotten how to shave.

$uploadfromtaptalk1455515529962.jpg

Recently I've done some more digging into the origins of the Heljestrand thumb notch series. I've also acquired two more of the first generation of these razors. This is one of them a Jernbolaget most likely manufactured sometime around 1915. The ivory is really nice and the old lady is in good condition. She hasn't forgotten how to shave.

View attachment 637530
100 years old and still admirable.

100 years old and still admirable.
Thank you Antoine. She shaved as good as can be. Actually I'm quite found of the few Jernbolaget razors in good condition that I've found. Tey are all top quality. It's a mystery to me though why Jernbolaget gave up straight razor production and let Heljestrand take over their very good razor designs. Jernbolaget (ceased production in 1968 I believe) was a much larger company than Heljestrand and razor production was just a minor part of their production. I guess that the answer to my question may lie herein. Anyhow my main interest in these rare razors are that the represent a Swedish industry historic value that I would like to be a part of preserving. Too few Swedes know about the importance Eskilstuna once held in the industrial Swedish development.

Onto your new Wacker. I have already complimented her beauty. I myself long hunted the all black Wacker thumb notch razor they made a few years ago, alas without any success. Wacker mostly make very beautiful razors. I usually give my favorite razors a name like The Lady (CVH MK no.32), The Princess (CVH MK no.31), Liberace, yesterdays “The Big French Madame” and many others. Your Wacker I’d name The Dark Lord or why not Loki?:001_smile

Top Bottom