What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Horror Shaving
About six months ago I bought a NOS CVH No.7 from the grandson of the last owner of Heljestrand. He very kindly added a gift to the package; a NOS Heljestrand No.24, but not the ordinary 4/8 but a 3/8 version from Heljestrand's last desperate decade of production with a flood of new razor models. I looked at it. I already owned a nimble 3/8 Törnblom with a thumb notch, but the Törnblom is a full hollow. This CVH is a wedge. It looked like a tool to peel your face off with, like something from "The Silence of The Lambs". I put it aside but I didn't put it away.

This morning I took a deep breath. Knowing what a wrong angle could do with my scurvy face, and how easy it would be to get the angle wrong, I finally picked picked up the CVH No.24 3/8. It actually turned out to be a very good shaver. Nimble as no other razor and it was actually not a problem at all to find the correct shaving angle.

Below I have added some pictures of it together with a 5/8 Dovo, a MK No.24 4/8, a 15/16 Thiers Issard and my Törnblom 3/8. I've decided to name this CVH 24 3/8 "Toothpick".

Have a nice weekend gentlemen.

$2016-08-27 17.12.58-1.jpg$2016-08-27 17.11.22-1.jpg$2016-08-27 17.32.11.jpg

Can someone explain what's different here that makes it frightening? I can see from the picture that something's different, but I don't quite understand how that translates to the shave itself. I'm trying to learn from you guys :)

The tang is as thin as the blade, nearly paper thin. You've got very little to hold on to and that makes it very "wiggly" until you, like Jon, have learned how to hold it. I've got one and it scares me.

The tang is as thin as the blade, nearly paper thin. You've got very little to hold on to and that makes it very "wiggly" until you, like Jon, have learned how to hold it. I've got one and it scares me.

That makes total sense now - thank you! I'm sure I will also appreciate this much more once I've actually felt what it's like to hold one.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Ooh, Endymion. Way out of my price range for a cologne, but I'd love to try a Penhaligon eventually. Beautiful packaging. How do you find the scent/performance?

Very inviting photo, btw.

Thank you, the items lend themselves to a good photograph via iPhone. The Endymion is quite a nice scent, perhaps more of a Winter one but I use simply one spritz and it is evident throughout the day. I prefer the Penhaligons fragrances as well as Floris. I believe they are well worth the simple indulgence. The Penhaligons Endymion shaving cream is very delightful as well. Over the years I have reigned in my shave den expenditures but what I do own are mostly the classics. I will say however that several months ago I purchased a very simple drug store flacon of BRUT and it sees some use as well. Underappreciated IMO.

Can someone explain what's different here that makes it frightening? I can see from the picture that something's different, but I don't quite understand how that translates to the shave itself. I'm trying to learn from you guys :)

I have a Johan Engstrom frameback with a thin tang and it can be a challenge in shaving and stropping. Thin tangs makes it hard to hold. It'll really wake you up in the morning!

I plan to shave with this in a bit, if I don't chicken out . . . .
View attachment 684175

Ahh a "Wiggly" Looks like fun

That blade is simply gorgeous!

Thanks Erich

Horror Shaving
About six months ago I bought a NOS CVH No.7 from the grandson of the last owner of Heljestrand. He very kindly added a gift to the package; a NOS Heljestrand No.24, but not the ordinary 4/8 but a 3/8 version from Heljestrand's last desperate decade of production with a flood of new razor models. I looked at it. I already owned a nimble 3/8 Törnblom with a thumb notch, but the Törnblom is a full hollow. This CVH is a wedge. It looked like a tool to peel your face off with, like something from "The Silence of The Lambs". I put it aside but I didn't put it away.

This morning I took a deep breath. Knowing what a wrong angle could do with my scurvy face, and how easy it would be to get the angle wrong, I finally picked picked up the CVH No.24 3/8. It actually turned out to be a very good shaver. Nimble as no other razor and it was actually not a problem at all to find the correct shaving angle.

Below I have added some pictures of it together with a 5/8 Dovo, a MK No.24 4/8, a 15/16 Thiers Issard and my Törnblom 3/8. I've decided to name this CVH 24 3/8 "Toothpick".

Have a nice weekend gentlemen.

View attachment 684235View attachment 684236View attachment 684234

that would be fun to shave with

Great show of blades today Gents

Top Bottom