What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Palmera 14 :001_wub:

Attachments

• $Palmera 001.jpg
    $Palmera 001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 213
The Silent Killer

It doesn't make a sound when stropping, it hardly makes a sound when shaving - but it is "retiring" those stubbles so effectively that it is almost scaring :001_smile

proxy.php

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually, this was yesterday's shave. Modified Gold Dollar #200. I ground off the shoulder and stabilizer with a sanding drum bit in a dremel knockoff, ground in a barber notch, and polished with 1u diamond on a felt wheel attachment. Honing was on 40u, 12u, 5u, 3u, 1u, and .3u 3M lapping film on a marble tile. Stropped on a new Big Daddy hanging strop from www.starshaving.com . Brush was a Chinese made black badger by Frank Shaving, resold by Star Shaving Supply. Soap was VDH. AS was Florida Water. Very pleasant shave, and very nice for a single pass shave.

Dremel + Gold Dollar - (stabilizers and shoulders) = darn fine razor. If I re-scale, I will do some work on the tang, too. I am thinking about doing myself a 7 day set.

$IMG_0016.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Gold Dollar!

A friend gave me a Gold Dollar a month ago. While I have honed a few, I haven't shaved with them enough to be able to have my own opinion of their shave worthiness. (And, yes, I know they are reviled by some.) I am going to shave with my Gold Dollar a time or two per week for a long time, or until I have a good sense for stropping, blade stability and the like.

Just my own personal experiment...

I like them! And at $7 per, they are cheap enough for me to play around with and hopefully put together a 7 day set one of these days. The #66, which is actually the cheapest, is the easiest to modify. All these razors, once the stabilizers and shoulders have been tamed, make good, face-friendly shavers unless you get one with spine symmetry issues. Quality control at the factory seems to consist of examining the piece to make sure it looks like a picture of what a razor ought to look like. The steel, however, is decent. I think of them as cheap semi-finished "blanks" to mess around with. See my post a page or two back in this thread for a pic of one of my GDs, a #200. I did that with a dremel in about an hour and a half. Waiting on hardware and attitude before rescaling a few of them and overhauling the tangs.

Top Bottom