What's new

Kamisori

Picked up a honed one from the BST and tried it for the first time this morning (makes it my first REAL straight shave :tongue:). It went well, but the razor did not feel as sharp as a Kai Mild. But for a first time, it was ok. Will practice some more with this one.

Niiice. A Kami or real straight will never feel the same as the Kai/Feather system, too different systems. :001_smile

Never used a Kai/Feather system but that Kamisori is as sharp as any western style straight I have used.

Legion

Staff member
A disposable blade will always(? I know... there are some crazy Swedish exceptions :001_tongu) be sharper than any traditional straight edge. But sharpness isn't everything when it comes to shaving. And an asymmetrical kamisori blade can shave about as close as anything out there in the right hands. Stick with it.

A disposable blade will always(? I know... there are some crazy Swedish exceptions :001_tongu) be sharper than any traditional straight edge. But sharpness isn't everything when it comes to shaving. And an asymmetrical kamisori blade can shave about as close as anything out there in the right hands. Stick with it.

Do not worry, was not thinking about putting it back on the BST. Is a present from my daughter, so I will use it.
Besides my Rollses are not as sharp as a Kai either, but I now get shaves out of them that outlast the Kai...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

There is an equally loony Hawaiian exception too...at least that what he (me) believes :lol: My edges are getting mighty close to a disposable(maybe within shouting distance?), and I have yet to try it out on Swedish steel, so that might be what is holding me back from total insanity!

There's a nut in Taiwan too :D

I haven't gotten close to a disposable, but I know my edges are now a lot smoother than they used to be.

Picked up a honed one from the BST and tried it for the first time this morning (makes it my first REAL straight shave :tongue:). It went well, but the razor did not feel as sharp as a Kai Mild. But for a first time, it was ok. Will practice some more with this one.

Still the same as yesterday: good shave but not much cutting :wink:. Could be the angle? Did one pass with the AC SS to clean up. Do you have to strop a kamisori, and if so on one side or both?

Legion

Staff member
Still the same as yesterday: good shave but not much cutting :wink:. Could be the angle? Did one pass with the AC SS to clean up. Do you have to strop a kamisori, and if so on one side or both?

I strop mine as if it were a normal western style razor.

The angle can be tricky with a kamisori. Firstly there is no handle sicking up to use as a guide. Secondly the angle should probably be slightly different depending on whether you have the ura or omote side towards the skin.

I strop mine as if it were a normal western style razor.

The angle can be tricky with a kamisori. Firstly there is no handle sicking up to use as a guide. Secondly the angle should probably be slightly different depending on whether you have the ura or omote side towards the skin.

I understood you always have to keep the omote side to the skin, so that is what I did.

Legion

Staff member
I understood you always have to keep the omote side to the skin, so that is what I did.

Yeah... technically you are. People tell you that you are being non-traditional if you change sides. I say if you shave your own face with a kamisori you are being non-traditional as well, so...

Do what works for you. Personally not swapping sides is TFH for me. I worked long and hard to be an ambidextrous shaver, I'll stick with it.

A few shaves further. I can get a mediocre shave out of it now. It does shave nice tho, about as easy and safe as an AC SS.

Top Bottom