What's new

Beginners Pen

Hey everyone, I recently aquired an old Parker pen, but it needs a new sac and it is missing a piece. But writing with it is quite enjoyable. As I head off for another year of college I'm thinking I wouldn't mind a nice pen.

Things I'm looking for:
sub $30 (sub $20 is even better)
Ability to use whatever ink I want

I wouldn't mind a vintage pen but from what it looks like on here those are out of my price range. Should I just wait for something to pop up on the BST? Or get a new pen?

I have a Noodler's on order, so can't talk about that one specifically. But I just got a Rotring Surf FP, with a converter, for about $11 shipped. Plastic pen, plastic clasp (but with with a certain innate style to it) and a nice steel nib that puts down what I'd call a fine line smoothly and without skipping. Bought it on the bay ...

I second the idea of a Pilot. Not sure about their models, but they are very well built.
I used a Pilot off and on for a while many years ago in University.
It held up well to the daily use.

I think the Parker Frontiers are an excellent first fountain pen, and they look like a Parker, too, which is always a plus. I have several of these, and they all write better than the Parker Sonnets I have. Comfortable, well made, reasonably priced. My favorite is the brushed chrome with gold nib and trim (but I also use a green one, a blue one, and a black one). I highly recommend them. And, if you are like me and want to carry a matching ball point or roller ball, you can do that.

goulet pen company has a great selection of sub $30.00 pens and even sub $20.00 pens (no affiliation and all that rot). Also the Franklin Covey "Lexington" made by Cross can be found sub $20.00 from a few distributors or directly from Franklin Covey (again no affiliation, but I do own one of these pens and like it for writing in checkbooks, grocery lists, and general writing as well).

Dave

One I have been looking at is a Noodler's Piston Fill Resin. Thoughts?

I have one, and it's a little scratchy, especially when compared to my Waterman Hemisphere (discontinued, out of the desired range). But, the Noodler's resin is good for the price, IMO.

If you would like to go vintage -- and that's what I'd do -- fully restored Esterbrook Js, SJs and LJs routinely go for under $30 on eBay. They are fantastic pens that have already lasted 60 years and will probably last at least another 60. You might have to be a bit patient in your bidding, but you'll get one for under $30 within a couple weeks, I'd bet.

looks like I pi$$ed away $20.. I liked the color, guess I'll stick with my ugly Parker Urban. (I know but i'm happy with it)

Last edited:
If you would like to go vintage -- and that's what I'd do -- fully restored Esterbrook Js, SJs and LJs routinely go for under $30 on eBay. They are fantastic pens that have already lasted 60 years and will probably last at least another 60. You might have to be a bit patient in your bidding, but you'll get one for under $30 within a couple weeks, I'd bet.

+1 on the Esterbrooks! You won't be sorry!! On Ebay look at seller "OldRetiredPerson" No affiliation but they sell restored Esties for great prices!

Tom

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you buy a big bottle of Noodler's ink you (usually*) get a free pen. :w00t:

*Usually ... check before you buy, some varieties don't come with a pen. Others do. (It's not random or anything to make it a suprise, though. If you buy somewhere reputable like Goulet, they will do a good job of indicating which colours have the free pen and which don't.)

Most of the pens that come with the ink are Preppies, which are $4 pens that write well, and are all set up to be filled with the eyedropper method ... which is convenient since the ink has an eyedropper cap, so you are all set. I've got a couple and like the way they write.

IIRC, you can get the Heart of Darkness black or the Lexington grey with a free pen for under $20, for example, and that much ink will get you through at least one year of classes. :thumbup1:

... if you can go for the Kung Te-cheng for $27 you get a really nice ink that writes very well in that Preppy. :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just ordered this one at $20.. s/b here today or tomorrow.

http://www.isellpens.com/noodlerspens.html
proxy.php

... As I head off for another year of college ...

If that's a Noodler's Arizona flex-nib, I'd say "no" for college, as IIRC, the flex-nib only writes well when going slowly, and college classes often involve fast notetaking to keep up to the instructor.

Never really looked at them as I seem to be stuck in the P Pens (Parker 21 and Platinum Preppy), but most of those Esterbrooks are beautiful pens (don't really like the gray ones). Something else for the wish list. Bunch of :censored: AD enablers :sod::mad2:.

Pilot 78g (and then you can buy a pilot plumix and swap out the nib, which is more of an italic nib), anything by Lamy or Noodlers are going to be good pens for the price.
Esterbrooks are good too, but they've taken off in price. I got one off ebay for $10 a few months ago with a brand new nib and sac, now i've yet to see one under $30

Top Bottom