What's new

new knots

i have read ppl putting new knots on their brushes. does this mean they r completely replacing the hair? just fixing the know? if it is replacing it, is it possible to get a nice handle from an antique store and just having someone put a nice stip badger hair knot in it instead of the ???? in there when i buy it??? im just curious cuz i want a nice new silver tip but i dont want to spend all that money if i dont have to. thanks guys u r all awesome

Probably better suited for a question in the restoration part of the brushes forum...But...Yes. Basically you cut and pull out as much hair as you can and then use a dremel or a drill press to get the rest out. Most are glued in via some kind of epoxy I think so your goal is to get all of that out. Then you can obtain new knots from various vendors and epoxy them into place at your desired loft.

Most are glued in via some kind of epoxy

True, but I think I saw someone that used a silicone calk (marine grade?) that supposedly holds the knot in place really well, but can be pulled out without damaging the hair. This allowed them to play with different lofts.

ok i posted this on the restor forums. thanks for responding tho. i wasnt payig attention to the resto link under the shaving brush forums

Top Bottom