What's new

Got Shaving Brush Burn

I tried some test lathering today and ended up irritating the face. I probably should have bowl lathered, but I decided that I wanted to lather up on the face... what a mistake. It could have been that I was using a pure badger brush, but this is the worst irritation that I have had while wetshaving. I think I will stick to bowl lathering from now on :blushing:

I get that same problem, due to that, I have bought a bunch of different types of brushes and will be making a comparison thread for those like me so they don't have to get a ton to try.

I tried some test lathering today and ended up irritating the face. I probably should have bowl lathered, but I decided that I wanted to lather up on the face... what a mistake. It could have been that I was using a pure badger brush, but this is the worst irritation that I have had while wetshaving. I think I will stick to bowl lathering from now on :blushing:

I get that same problem, due to that, I have bought a bunch of different types of brushes and will be making a comparison thread for those like me so they don't have to get a ton to try.

When Practice or test lathering, I use my Palm, this has the added benefit of using the sense of touch without irritating your face. Whether your testing a new brush or a Soap/ Cream, it much easier to evaluate the product when you feel it at work, this is impossible when using a bowl, and as you found out... painful on your face, especially when testing more than one product. It's very helpful when learning Water to Soap or Cream ratios of properly hydrated lathers.

When Practice or test lathering, I use my Palm, this has the added benefit of using the sense of touch without irritating your face. Whether your testing a new brush or a Soap/ Cream, it much easier to evaluate the product when you feel it at work, this is impossible when using a bowl, and as you found out... painful on your face, especially when testing more than one product. It's very helpful when learning Water to Soap or Cream ratios of properly hydrated lathers.

That's interesting, I've always created practice lathers in a bowl to do that, then I'd scoop out some lather to play with at different intervals so I know what I'm getting. When actually shaving I like the create the lather in the bowl and then paint or scrub it on with the brush.

I'll have to give it a try, even though I'm not a huge fan of hand-lathering.

Last edited:
I get shaving brush "burn" from my mighty midget when I try to face lather with it even after I soak the brush for a good 10-15 min before I start lathering.

I lather right on the puck in my mug when using soap and face lather with creams. I use a Surrey/VDH Boar and I have never had a problem with "brush burn".

I lather right on the puck in my mug when using soap and face lather with creams. I use a Surrey/VDH Boar and I have never had a problem with "brush burn".

Cheap pure brushes seems to burn way more than even cheap boar brushes for some reason.
It's like a wire whisk on my face :(

Cheap pure brushes seems to burn way more than even cheap boar brushes for some reason.

This is good to know. I would like to get a new brush and seem to get brush burn easily. I do not want a really expensive brush as I am still learning but would like something with soft tips. I was thinking of going to a Best Badger or low end silver tip.

This is good to know. I would like to get a new brush and seem to get brush burn easily. I do not want a really expensive brush as I am still learning but would like something with soft tips. I was thinking of going to a Best Badger or low end silver tip.

simpson colonel x2l in best. i got mine on the b/s/t for $50, they're $65 new online.
IMO, simpson best is a LOT better low end silver. and it is SOFT.

I get this, too. It's kind of insidious for me. I feel the scritch while I'm face lathering, but it doesn't burn until after I'm done with the shave. Which leaves me wondering if it's razor burn or brush burn, until I recall feeling the scritch from my brush.

I agree with the recommendation of taking a few days off - not necessarily from shaving, but from face lathering. A dermatologist would give similar advice regarding the use of exfoliating facial scrubs: don't use them daily. Brush burn is likely the result of over-exfoliating.

My brush recommendation: Rooney Heritage Stubby XL series. I could face lather with my 2XL all day and not get the burn. Or, a slightly more affordable option: any Thater. Great backbone, absolutely no brush burn. If you go with a Simpson in Best, I'd recommend a taller lofted, less dense variety. I have a short lofted, dense CL1 that gives me the burn when I face lather. My 56, on the other hand, does not.

I get this, too. It's kind of insidious for me. I feel the scritch while I'm face lathering, but it doesn't burn until after I'm done with the shave. Which leaves me wondering if it's razor burn or brush burn, until I recall feeling the scritch from my brush.

I agree with the recommendation of taking a few days off - not necessarily from shaving, but from face lathering. A dermatologist would give similar advice regarding the use of exfoliating facial scrubs: don't use them daily. Brush burn is likely the result of over-exfoliating.

My brush recommendation: Rooney Heritage Stubby XL series. I could face lather with my 2XL all day and not get the burn. Or, a slightly more affordable option: any Thater. Great backbone, absolutely no brush burn. If you go with a Simpson in Best, I'd recommend a taller lofted, less dense variety. I have a short lofted, dense CL1 that gives me the burn when I face lather. My 56, on the other hand, does not.

They way I narrowed down brush burn or not is to lather without shaving. I lather up, wait a bit, then try to feel if the burning happens.

I'd recommend a couple of good Boars from two different Manufacturers as a start. Allow each to fully dry between uses, allowing them to be Broken-in, increasing the lather building and water retention capabilities, most Boars will need ~20-25 lathers but are worth the time invested.

Another cause of "Brush Burn" is excessive pressure used when lathering, let the tips do the bulk of the work.

Last edited:

Chris,

I love boar brushes. After reading about the various problems people have had with Rooneys, Simpsons, Kents, Vulfix, etc. concerning shedding and irritation and the expense, I think I'll stick to the porcine end of the spectrum.

Top Bottom