What's new

Warning on GEM Featherweight Razor

I got my 4 sample packs from Try A Blade, and am just waiting on the SLOW parcel delivery "service" to deliver my first GEM (a clog pruf) (Thanks Hoosier Trooper, you enabler:lol:)

Despite the headline there is nothing wrong about the GEM FW razor but a lot to like about it. However, if you end up getting this razor you may very well begin an endless journey into the world of SE razors and shaving. :w00t:

I have been a DE shaver for years. I dabbled into injectors and straights - but always returned to DE razors. A while back I read some comments by the SE guys - you know who you are :001_rolle- and thought I would buy one. I looked on eBay for the cheapest one I could find that was in very good condition. I picked up that and a Gbar and fortunately the FW arrived first (the Gbar was defective in that it would not hold the blade properly resulting in cuts and nicks after just one pass. In fact, a second Gbar I bought and returned had a missing guide that holds the blade in place. Both were returned and it took a third one to get a decent razor.)

In any event, I got the razor and looked at it. I said to myself this looks more like a toy with its "plastic-like" handle. However, looks can be deceiving so I tried the razor with a Walgreen's GEM blade in it and was blown away. A very close, smooth shave. In fact, this is one of the few razors that gave me a BBS shave in three passes instead of my usual four. I was very impressed: how could a razor that I bought for around $10 plus shipping give me a shave as good as my $70 Merkur Progress (but my Progress did come with a nice case that I never used).

You may wonder if the razor is so good why the warning. Well this is the razor that got me started on my SE journey and resulted in my purchasing 9 different SE razors (15 in total when you count duplicates). So, stay away from this razor if you don't want to happen what happened to me! :laugh:

I did get my revenge a week or so ago. I had a house guest who I converted to DE shaving a year ago. His is notoriously cheap and I gave him an old Gillette tech I had around to begin his DE journey. His wife bought him some soap as a gift and he has never bought very much in the way of DE goodies. My wife was showing his wife the sliding drawers I put in our bathroom and she noticed the FW on the counter. She told her husband that "Jim shaves with this little plastic razor." He was shocked so I showed him that it was not a Gillette multi blade monster but a GEM SE razor. I told him he could try in the next day and I cleaned it up and put in a new GEM PTFE blade in it. He fell in love with it and el cheapo a few days later then bought a FW and 1912 razor on eBay. He blames me for his "extravagance." :001_huh:

So be careful. Don't buy a FW or similar inexpensive GEM razor. If you do you may very well join those of us who love the SE experience and will end up with more than what you bargained for.

LOL the Featheweight and the rest of the GEM Line is GREAT!

I also have a FW, but the strange thing is that at first it was mild and nice... then after a couple of blades it suddenly turn agressive on my *** - dont know why... so i just bought a Gem jr, so i hope it will stay mild :blink: BTW, whats the diff between a Jr. and a Jewel...???

I have a G-Bar, which is the same head as the Featherweight. Great shavers! I converted my 1912 Jr into a modern-handled razor. My 1924 is great, especially when shimmed. I'm not a big fan of the MM-OC, but my Clog-Pruf is a game-changer.

I recently obtained a Featherweight. My first outing with it was today and it was brilliant.
A 1912 with the chain-link handle is on its way.
I think I can hold the line there, but we shall see.

I need more SE blades, though!

I love my SEs, but am a bit of a failure in that I love my DEs more. (Sorry guys!) However, I will be keeping them all in rotation.

I haven't used a FW, yet. I have one, but still need to clean it up. My favorite GEM so far is the G-Bar. It just has the right weight for me.

[MENTION=29847]ackvil[/MENTION], now that you have tried a few of the GEM SEs (definitely try the MMOC if you haven't yet) you should give some of the modern SEs that use the Feather Artist Club blades a try. I recommend the General by Colonial Razors (when they get it back in stock). It is a great shaver. Also take a look at the RazoRock Hawk for a very reasonably priced AC razor.

Also the Rocnel Model P (the one that uses half a DE blade) is quite an experience.

The SE rabbit hole is a deep one that is getting deeper all the time.

give some of the modern SEs that use the Feather Artist Club blades a try. I recommend the General by Colonial Razors (when they get it back in stock). It is a great shaver. Also take a look at the RazoRock Hawk for a very reasonably priced AC razor.

Gee, thanks, Doug. :ohmy: I have a fair number of these blades and was wondering what to do with them.

click bait title that alludes you to think that's something negative but its actually positive.... Don't think I wanna read the whole love for the razor letter.

I love my SEs, but am a bit of a failure in that I love my DEs more. (Sorry guys!) However, I will be keeping them all in rotation.

I haven't used a FW, yet. I have one, but still need to clean it up. My favorite GEM so far is the G-Bar. It just has the right weight for me.

@ackvil, now that you have tried a few of the GEM SEs (definitely try the MMOC if you haven't yet) you should give some of the modern SEs that use the Feather Artist Club blades a try. I recommend the General by Colonial Razors (when they get it back in stock). It is a great shaver. Also take a look at the RazoRock Hawk for a very reasonably priced AC razor.

Also the Rocnel Model P (the one that uses half a DE blade) is quite an experience.

The MMOC as well as the MMCC did not work well for me. Both gave me a rougher shave and I ended up selling one and PIFing the other.

click bait title that alludes you to think that's something negative but its actually positive.... Don't think I wanna read the whole love for the razor letter.

What do you suppose the smile emoji was for? Looked pretty obvious to me what the intent was.

Early on, when I started collecting vintage Gillettes, and hadn't started collecting SEs yet, I always thought the Featherweight looked cheap and flimsy. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how wrong I was later on. They're terrific shavers!!

Another vote for the FeatherWeight/NaturalAngle. They’re probably the least aesthetically pleasing of the Gem razors, but only my MMOC shaves closer. A great little razor.

Another vote for the FeatherWeight/NaturalAngle. They’re probably the least aesthetically pleasing of the Gem razors, but only my MMOC shaves closer. A great little razor.
I will say that the black handle ones look pretty sharp. Somewhere here on B&B a while back, someone posted a pic of a gold plated FW with a black handle. It looked really nice!

Hi all,

This is an awesome thread!

This here "newbie" is dusting off this thread again if you don't mind.
I've been on a roll since joining B&B (about four weeks ago) and have acquired a BAD case of RAD since (right out the gate) finding a VERY nice condition Gillette (D4) Fatboy for eight dollars! Since that first purchase, I've been hooked! Over the last four weeks, I have acquired TWO DOZEN Razors (help me).
Today (4/17/19) I (fell deep down the Rabbit hole) and purchased (Cherry picked) FOUR GEM Razors :

GEM Micromatic (Brass ?)
GEM "Bullet Tip/Flying Wing"
GEM Featherweight and.....
GEM (G-bar) "Heavy Flat Top"

The Micromatic is by far the most used of the four and needs a serious cleaning/detail.
Other than a good cleaning, the Micromatic Razor is in very straight condition.
The other three are all in VERY good condition (some possible NOS).
I dear say, half of my twenty four Razors are GEM/EVER-READY. I look forward
to shaving with one as soon as my order of Single Edge Blades arrive.

SixCats!

I just started a few weeks ago shaving with an Ever Ready 1912 and I love it. I have recently acquired a few more SE razors, an Ever Ready Streamline and a Gem featherweight. I have tried them all, I did not get such a good shave with the featherweight, but I think it could have been the blade otherwise my fault. I am going to try it a few more times before passing judgment. Overall I am really enjoying them, I especially like the noise you get when shaving with them.
How was it getting use to? I just received my first 1912 in the mail today. Scared and excited to use

Top Bottom