What's new

Pants Hanging Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snopes.com just released an article about the clothing style of wearing pants below the buttocks. Interesting information. The article said the word on the street was that this low riding style originated in prison to advertise availability. Well, the sexual availability part is wrong. But, the prison part is right!

An interesting read!

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

Attachments

• $sagging-pants.jpg
    $sagging-pants.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 353
Not a good sign when a culture glorifies anything from prison other than prisoners who used their time behind bars to straighten themselves out.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Regardless of the origin, I still think it looks stupid. Pants should be worn around the wast. That is my opinion anyway.

If I was in prison and was issued pants three sizes too big, but no belt, well maybe. But, to purposefully wear it that way... truthfully, it makes me want to laugh! But, then, it isn't being worn to impress me, an old 50s something geezer, is it!

I didn't care a whit that my long hair upset the McNamara and LBJ crowd. In fact, that was the point!

Karma...

I hate looking at that crap,prison culture is a growing threat in america,but,I also think as long as san francisco allows completely nude men to walk down the street in broad daylight,exposing their sex organs to everyone on the sidewalk,including young children ,I say if you can't apply the law without prejudice,then apply it to no one...

I'd rather see a nudist walking towards me than a couple of thugs in hoodies and trousers hanging off them.
There's nothing wrong with nudity and in fact, you can be sure that unless he's veeery committed, he's not hiding a knife or gun.

Though, it makes you wonder where his pocket-change is :w00t:

Speaking of nudity, several years ago, I was visiting with a friend and her husband. She mentioned her one and only trip to a nudist colony. She kept her cutoffs on, but went topless "so she wouldn't stick out." Well, that was awkward! Unfortunately, I couldn't squelch the belly laugh.

Speaking of nudity, several years ago, I was visiting with a friend and her husband. She mentioned her one and only trip to a nudist colony. She kept her cutoffs on, but went topless "so she wouldn't stick out." Well, that was awkward! Unfortunately, I couldn't squelch the belly laugh.

Ha! :thumbup1: :laugh:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I could go on and on about what I thought of that low-pants fashion, but I though I'd let a pretty lady say it for me ...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Regardless of the origin, I still think it looks stupid. Pants should be worn around the wast. That is my opinion anyway.
Scott:
+ 1 and not only is it stupid...there should be city ordinances againt this 'trend' (no need to chase after violators...they won't get away).
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just my
proxy.php

Christopher

Attachments

• $pullem_up02_t450.jpg
    $pullem_up02_t450.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 295
  • $7-29-2010%202-33-26%20PM.jpg
    $7-29-2010%202-33-26%20PM.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 297
  • $navigator28_luggageBW.jpg
    $navigator28_luggageBW.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 297
  • $saggy_pants_sign_240X1801.jpg
    $saggy_pants_sign_240X1801.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 298
I don't get it. They couldn't possibly run with their trouser crotch around their knees.

this is a good thought..I actually have had many a good laugh watching cops run after and tackle an idiot that thought he could outrun the police with his *** hanging out..they tend to hit sidewalk face down and fairly hard when those pants strap their knees closed all at once..as for nudity,I have no objections to nude beaches (with postings) or nudist "areas"...the city street is not place for it..if some guy wags the tail in front of my young grand daughters,he'll deal with me in a hard way,and then the police..I would not have him charged with indecent exposure,because that is considered unenforceable,but exhibition to a minor under the age of 14 is still on the books,and I would take my chances that a jury would not rule in the nudists favor..

I know I have found a lot of drugs, wepons and other contraband on guys wearing pants that were oversized and hanging off their butt that I could not see until the search.

Hey, I may not like how it looks personally but it makes my job a whole lot easier. If they break the law, I don't have to chase them as far! I say, keep'em saggy! (OK, not really but it does make foot chases a lot shorter and I am getting older). :lol:

it's a fashion designed to **** off middle class America, and it appears to be working! I'm guessing none of you guys argued with your parents about your clothing and hair choices?

it's a fashion designed to **** off middle class America, and it appears to be working! I'm guessing none of you guys argued with your parents about your clothing and hair choices?

I'm with you on this. People dress to communicate. If you think about it, there's a fairly limited vocabulary to choose from. For men, it seems to be pants, shirts, shoes, coats, hats as well as some other details. However, there are seemingly endless ways to recombine these things. Trouser legs get tight or loose, hems go up and down, cuffs appear and disappear, waists drop or come up. All of it has a message or messages. Some are intended for members of the group, some for people outside of the group. And a huge part of the message comes from taking what someone else is comfortable with and transforming it into something new. There's nothing inherently good or bad about any of this--it all comes from the value you invest it with, and with what the people you are communicating with value. Middle aged white guys with cargo shorts, white socks, sneakers and a golf shirt carries the same kind of communicative burden. To all the other similarly-attired guys, it looks great. To those outside the group, not so much. But I think that the will to communicate like this is fascinating. Birds have colorful plumage, mandrills have bottoms--humans have to go to department stores to put together something. It's demanding and requires a real attention to detail. It changes a lot too, and you have to keep up with things to avoid looking like a fool to the people whose opinions you value.

Of course, this is big business too. Once, subcultures would struggle to assemble elements of dress in ways that were pleasing to them and, hopefully, to tick off their elders. Now, aspiring mods and rockers just have to go down to the store where individuality is dished out to them. Even the fashions shown in the OP have a huge, billion-dollar commercial apparatus behind them. Even rugged individualists who scoff at this kind of thing have stores that cater to them.

Anyway, I think it's interesting to take the kind of critique leveled at these kids' fashions to your own closet. Have a look around and try to figure out why you think that you're the normal one. Might learn something interesting about the signals that you're sending.

Last edited:
That fellow who auditioned for American Idol wrote a song about it. You looking like a fool with your pants on the ground....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom