What's new

Looking for a good, cheap aftershave milk

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a good, cheap (under $20) aftershave milk for the days where my skin feels like it needs a little more than my trusty Nancy Boy aftershave.

I tend to have somewhat oily skin and will break-out from time to time- so milks that are heavy or oily are out of the question.

Any suggestions? I know that Mama Bear Sue and Saint Charles Sue both have milks- any thoughts on their respective offerings? Are there any others that I should throw on the list to consider?

You cannot go wrong with either Mama Sue or Saint Sue.

I love the Lavendar A/S milk Saint Sue produces; due to an oversight on my part, I do not have any of Mama Sue's but I have always heard good things about it on this forum.

Marty

I like the Proraso ASB. Or for even lower cost Nivea Sensitive makes a pretty good balm for around $5.

Edit: Now that I look at it, my post is an exact +1 of Frederik's.

+x on the Nivea Sensitive "Extra Soothing Balm". It's great stuff, no alcohol. Widely available. Cheap too (about $5 a bottle).

If you try it (& you should) be aware that Nivea makes 3 A/S. 2 w/Alcohol & 1 without. So check the contents before you purchase to make sure you pick up the one sans Alcohol. Think it comes in a white box with blue lettering. The bottle for sure is white w/blue lettering

I have the same type of sensitivity issues that you do & the Nivea is a good
product for guys like us...

Nivea ($5) is good but MB Sue's ($20) is way better for soothing and moisturizing... I really like the Summer ASB.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have tried Mama Bear winter & summer. Summer sounds like what you are looking for.

I have not tried the SCS versions, so cannot compare.

I have also tried the Nivea asb, and while I like it, Mama Bear is better (and is certainly not nearly as heavy!)

Another product to consider is Trumper's Skin Food (Coral or Limes). It will cost you a bit more $25 but breaking out should not be a problem and its not as heavy as a balm.

My vote goes to SCS Lavender Milk. It's cheap and it's good.

SCS (Saint Charles Shaving) which is a company of one of our members Sue (both her name and screenname) is a very good company with consistently low prices and good quality products. I have used many of her products and like them very much. The Lavender and the Rose AS Milk, especially. A little off topic, but she also makes very nice low cost colognes.

Another product to consider is Trumper's Skin Food (Coral or Limes). It will cost you a bit more $25 but breaking out should not be a problem and its not as heavy as a balm.

Both good products, but quite different from Proraso AS Milk and they can be costly. They also double as a very slick preshave treatment.

+x on the Nivea Sensitive "Extra Soothing Balm". It's great stuff, no alcohol. Widely available. Cheap too (about $5 a bottle).

If you try it (& you should) be aware that Nivea makes 3 A/S. 2 w/Alcohol & 1 without. So check the contents before you purchase to make sure you pick up the one sans Alcohol. Think it comes in a white box with blue lettering. The bottle for sure is white w/blue lettering

I have the same type of sensitivity issues that you do & the Nivea is a good
product for guys like us...

True ; one of the alcoholic ones is the one made for "dry skin" ; quite drying...:mad3:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a good, cheap (under $20) aftershave milk for the days where my skin feels like it needs a little more than my trusty Nancy Boy aftershave.

I tend to have somewhat oily skin and will break-out from time to time- so milks that are heavy or oily are out of the question.

Any suggestions? I know that Mama Bear Sue and Saint Charles Sue both have milks- any thoughts on their respective offerings? Are there any others that I should throw on the list to consider?

Good and cheap in the same sentence is usually a pretty tall order. However, it happens occasionally. Check out John Michael Kohler after shave balm for a mere $16 for a nine ounce bottle. I think this stuff is absolutely fantastic.

If you are in the Kohler, Wisconsin area you can buy it at the Water Spa, one of the shops in the shopping center, or at the boutique at the American Club. If you can afford to stay at the American Club you probably won't mind paying the $20 that they charge for the same thing you can get next door for $16, otherwise the rest of us will just get it at the spa or the shop.

+1 for Trumper's Skin Food. Get the Trumper's sample pack to see if you like it or not. It's a little tacky when first applied, but if you can get past that, it's great!

Norm

+1 for Nivea Sensitive (easy to find, inexpensive, effective) and Mama Bear's. Mama Sue has many scents to chose from and will custom scent for you as well. I've not yet tried SCS Sue's, but if it's like her other products, you won't be going wrong.

Another vote for Mama Bear's Aftershave milk. I have a bottle of the Summer version with Peppermint hydrosol. This stuff is no joke! The peppermint is SO strong that I need to grab onto something and brace myself immediately after applying it. It burns so cold, you'd almost think that it was a mistake...I like it. :badger: :a53:

Top Bottom