What's new

Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile

Boy oh Boy! I thought I'd seen some sharp blades before but I just received this months box of shaving goodies which included 10 Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile. My first shave was with a Gillette New, longcomb. I made a nice slick cushiony lather with some Cella and a Rooney Super and got to it. I can't remember the last time I needed styptic or even had a weeper but all those early days came flashing back.

I wound up getting a very close smooth shave but I had some weepers and a little irritation on my neck. A little 4711 splash and Nivea ASB and I was good.

2nd shave...amazing! Same set up as before but I used my Aristocrat. The blade gave me a very close shave but without the irritation.

Should I cork each Bolzano first or will it make them too dull?

i got such a horrible first shave from a Bolzano, I didn't care to go back for a second. However, I didn't try palm stropping the blade.

I think they are great - but they are very sharp. However, they tend to be expensive so I don't use them that much. Corking the blade will help make it more mild. This blade is one I got to like after I had a lot more experienced.

Bolzanos have been my second choice blade to Feathers, and whilst not as sharp, always have given me a smooth shave. Now using straights, I always used Bolzanos when speed was of the essence, and the time needed for that extra care with Feathers wasn't available.

+1, one of the worst blades I ever tried, tied with the Lord Stainless..

YMMV. The Lord Super Stainless are my favs and the Bolzano blades are in the 'me like'-camp for sure!

When you like Bolzano you might also like Elios (from the same factory) which seem to have a lot in common, but at a much better price.

YMMV. The Lord Super Stainless are my favs and the Bolzano blades are in the 'me like'-camp for sure!

When you like Bolzano you might also like Elios (from the same factory) which seem to have a lot in common, but at a much better price.

Thanks for the heads up. They are a lot cheaper!

Boy oh Boy! I thought I'd seen some sharp blades before but I just received this months box of shaving goodies which included 10 Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile. My first shave was with a Gillette New, longcomb. I made a nice slick cushiony lather with some Cella and a Rooney Super and got to it. I can't remember the last time I needed styptic or even had a weeper but all those early days came flashing back.

I wound up getting a very close smooth shave but I had some weepers and a little irritation on my neck. A little 4711 splash and Nivea ASB and I was good.

2nd shave...amazing! Same set up as before but I used my Aristocrat. The blade gave me a very close shave but without the irritation.

Should I cork each Bolzano first or will it make them too dull?

The Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile is hard to find and is quite expensive.

I bought a tuck, but the reviews are all over the place. I haven't decided where to fit them in for a test. I may wait until I buy a Fatip.

I bought a tuck, but the reviews are all over the place. I haven't decided where to fit them in for a test. I may wait until I buy a Fatip.

I bought a tuck as well. I loved the blades, not the price. For me, they were about like the Gillette 7O'clock Blacks, maybe smoother.
Ultimately, pricing and unavailability of a cheaper flat of 100 kinda ruled them out for larger purchase.

I've seen very divided opinion on other threads.... down to some people thinking these blades were not sharp and others putting them on par with Feathers in that regard. Blade preferences are mysterious.

I loved them as well when I tried them. I found them very sharp and smooth, but it's been well over a year since I had any. Ultimately, the almost $40/100 price tag is what put me off. Given how much I like the GSB at almost half the price, I didn't see the value.

I wouldn't call them smooth (getting a lot of "feedback" during the shave), but have had great shaves with the one I loaded earlier this week. Echo the comments about them being expensive and not easy to come by.

I mentioned in another thread how much I wanted to LOVE these blades--it's an Italian thing. I have only used one so far, and it was during a period of trying many blades, in different razors. My recollection is the blade was fine, I LIKED it--but it didn't wow me enough to go buy some in bulk (the way Voskhod did, for example), especially at the inflated price.

But I have one Balzano left to test. I may even buy a tuck to give them a bit more of a shot to impress. I still want to LOVE them enough to pony up the $$ for a bulk buy.

Though the brand was Italian once, the current Bolzanos are made in Germany by Feintechnik just like Croma, Elios and Merkur.

Which explains much. Bolzano & Mekur - for ME - were very similar & the worst 2 blades I've tried. I have a very coarse & heavy beard & Bolzanos were just terrible....

The first pass over my cheek with a Bolzano, I could feel a bit of drag...or more like a bit of resistance. I had started to bash them in my head when I took them to my neck, ATG, the hardest part of my shave. Surprisingly smooth going ATG, smoother than my go to blades at the moment; Astra SP and Feathers. I like the shave quite a lot, but I got a similarly smooth shave from a Personna lab, so I won't be spending the money on the Bolzanos.

Top Bottom