What's new

Need some information on a Jackson Safety Razor. Photos.

I picked this razor up and am trying to find out some more information about it. The inside of the lid as the following printed on it.
The Jackson Razor
Trade Jackson Mark
Manufactured By
The Jackson Shear and Razor Co.
Fremont, Ohio

The underside of the razor has Jackson Fremont O on the left side and PAT'D FEBY 5-1907 on the right side.

I might try to sharpen the blade and use it. As it stands the blade does cut the hair on my arm sort of.

Attachments

• $DSCF2991.jpg
    $DSCF2991.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 111
  • $DSCF2992.jpg
    $DSCF2992.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 109
  • $DSCF2993.jpg
    $DSCF2993.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 110
Sorry I can't provide any info, but that is a cool looking find. I would be curious to know what the deal is with the two razors in there...Like what is the one, that is like an old school shavette almost, for? One for beard and one for mustache? Cool find and looks like great condition.

Sorry I can't provide any info, but that is a cool looking find. I would be curious to know what the deal is with the two razors in there...Like what is the one, that is like an old school shavette almost, for? One for beard and one for mustache? Cool find and looks like great condition.
You mean the stropping handle for the wedge blade?

The American cutler, official organ of the cutlery industry

The Jackson Works.
The Jackson Shear Co., of Fremont, was launched in the year 1895 and was originally known as the .Jackson Knife and Shear Co., taking over the business of the Sprague Cutlery Co., of Buchanan, Mich., engaged in the manufacture of pocket cutlery, table and kitchen ware, razors, shears, scissors and tinners' snips. The Jackson organization originally consisted of A. II. Jackson, president; Judge Samuel Hriinkerhoff, A. V. Baumann, Henry Hughes and A. II. Miller.

In 1904 Mr. Jackson, who previously owned only a quarter of the stock, purchaesd the Brinkerhoff and Hughes interests and, shortly afterwards, that of Mr. Baumann, thereupon becoming sole owner of the plant. The company was reorganized in 1907 under the name of the Jackson Shear and Razor Co., which is the present corporate name, but because of certain lines being discontinued and for the sake of brevity the company since 1908 has used the name of the Jackson Shear Co.

Do want the history of this razor? or the specs, the way it shaves? what excatly do you want to know.
Well I am guessing that the shave technique is similar to a Rolls Razor which I have used.
How do you sharpen the blade? Do you use a hone and a strop?
Any history is always good to know.
Did this company make a lot or not that many razors?

Well I am guessing that the shave technique is similar to a Rolls Razor which I have used.
How do you sharpen the blade? Do you use a hone and a strop?
Any history is always good to know.
Did this company make a lot or not that many razors?
Sometimes companies that kept records will publish stuff and it winds up in the internet. Gillette was a popular razor company so they had a lot of razors and shaving items that many people bought and kept records of so it was easy to print or put information online for others to share. Jackson razor company was one of those companies that had limited information to look for on the internet so it's hard to post or inform users of the companies business practices or how many products they produced. All I know is what I read or what's in my Razor Compendium. Your best bet will be that one of our many knowledgeable members may have had or experienced the Jackson Razor that you bought and they can describe the functions. If not, then you can just lather up and try it yourself. After you have experienced the results, you can be of one of the few Jackson Razors owners that can describe how it shaves and other members of B&B can learn from your details. This is the only way that we can preserve the history of shaving, It's by communicating and keeping together as a community and passing information onto others so they can learn too.:001_smile

Top Bottom