What's new

Flea Market Finds

I found these yesterday at a flea market at the Art and (Hot Air) Balloon Festival in Lincoln, IL. My wife and In-laws were on the hunt for me!! :) My FIL found the booth with these items. The straights were $10 a piece, the stone $3.

Greaves & Bengall by johndi1965, on Flickr

Greaves & Bengall by johndi1965, on Flickr

I don't know what the stone is, but it's really smooth. I lapped it flat and while lapping it gave off a white slurry...

There was another booth with straights. That one had a W&B with an eagle etched blade; same general condition as these two -- asking $85... kinda high for me.

All in all a good day!

John

Wow, Fantastic finds!

Both the blades and stone are in great shape. You have to be excited about these, Congrats!

Wow, Fantastic finds!

Both the blades and stone are in great shape. You have to be excited about these, Congrats!
I am!! :) They both need a bit of polish. The Greaves needs scale work too... all good.

Looks a bit like my thuri, the size is about the same too.
I was wondering if it might be one. I've never seen one in person.
I was lapping it dry at first. It seemed almost like chalk. It did take a awhile to do, it didn't seem that dished.
It seemed to lap easier than a C12k I've done.

Nice finds.
thanks!

John

Very, very nice finds, not even regarding the price. For this price, that buy is near criminal. And if that stone turns out to be a Thuringian, you hit one of those 'once, maybe twice, in a life-time $3 jackpots'. Jealous.

Very, very nice finds, not even regarding the price. For this price, that buy is near criminal. And if that stone turns out to be a Thuringian, you hit one of those 'once, maybe twice, in a life-time $3 jackpots'. Jealous.

I kind of felt like I was stealing when I asked the price...

great score i think that that may be a thuri

I hope that it is, I'm gonna try it out later and see what it does.

Good score!
thanks!

Ill add to it! WHAT A GREAT FATHER IN LAW!!! She (Your wife) is a keeper- with family like that! Its the thrill of the hunt that makes flea markets so fun!

Ill add to it! WHAT A GREAT FATHER IN LAW!!! She (Your wife) is a keeper- with family like that! Its the thrill of the hunt that makes flea markets so fun!

:lol:
I told her about your post this morning. She went from 'grouchy Monday morning' to smiling from ear to ear!!
My FIL's old Fatboy was my first venture into the DE, SE and now straights... I blame them. :001_smile
I think they're happy I now have a collecting obsession! bunch of enablers!

John

Top Bottom