What's new

Caswell Massey - Let's help them

How do you like Caswell Massey shave cream or soap?

• Love it. I can hardly wait to buy another

• Lathered well and provided good irritation free shave

• OK shave, not the worst

• Won’t buy it again, but used it up

• Burned/irritated my face before the shave started

• Poor lubrication. Lousy shave. Won’t buy again or threw it out

• Did not lather well. Lousy shave. Won’t buy again or threw it out

Results are only viewable after voting.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Since Caswell Massey is so often the brunt of so many bad shave cream/soap stories I thought it might be nice to take a poll and inform Caswell Massey of the results. Not to rub it in, but it sure would be nice if the oldest American made shave cream was actually any good.

Pick as many choices as apply.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You need a check-box for "heard so many bad things about it I'll never buy any" :crying: Put a check there for me, BTW.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You need a check-box for "heard so many bad things about it I'll never buy any" :crying: Put a check there for me, BTW.

I'm not sure how to edit the poll. I didn't see it as an option when I selected edit.

I really wanted to like their shave cream but it is the worst shave cream produced. It did not lather well and the shave was atrocious.

Last year, I purchased the Almond "Stubble Trouble" set at TJ Maxx when it was on Red Tag Clearance. I think it was $5 (maybe less) for the Pre-Shave Oil, Shave Cream, and Aftershave Balm. I could never get a decent lather from the cream. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a brushless cream. Needless to say, I still have it...

-Pete

My soap.....well...it has a nice wood bowl (using it for lather).

It works well in the shower, at least!

+1 --- a am using the bowl with melted Honeybee soaps. As a last laugh by CM, however, the bowl leeches color into the soap....

I gave up on it even as a shower soap when it quickly lost its almond scent.

+1 for me too on this.
It's a shame too, because I really like their balm. The sandalwood is a great winter ASB, probably my favorite.

In addition to the poor lather/lubrication, their Sandalwood cream will put a big-time burn on your face. Never had such a reaction as with this stuff; man, that Sandalwood is like napalm.

-- John Gehman

I received the sandalwood soap as a gift and tried it twice. No lather and no scent to speak of. I used the CM soap in the shower and put my C&E sandalwood in the bowl.

I also received a few samples of their shave cream. I tried it a couple of times. No lather. I now use the CM cream as "pre-shave" treatment while I strop. I then wipe off the CM with a hot towel and apply my lather du jour.

Jordan :frown:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
In addition to the poor lather/lubrication, their Sandalwood cream will put a big-time burn on your face. Never had such a reaction as with this stuff; man, that Sandalwood is like napalm.

-- John Gehman

That's the way the almond was for me. Any skin that came into contact with it turned beet red.

-- John Gehman

My post listed above is incorrect. I wrote that based on (faulty) memory, and I was confused. Now, I certainly do not wish to besmirch a product unjustly, so I offer a correction to my earlier post, below.

That's the way the almond was for me. Any skin that came into contact with it turned beet red.

OldSaw Dennis is correct. I examined my tub of Casswell-Massey Napalm and discovered that it *is* almond flavored.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

Initially I thought this would be good stuff, I thought it was a great find at Marshall's for 5 bucks on sale (since their products sell for $20 and up on their site) -- and this was before I was a part of this forum. Anyways, I've learned since that I don't like pre shave oils in general, but theirs esp. sucks. Their almond aftershave smells kinda nice, but it literally made my sensitive skin bleed in some areas. Deadly stuff.

I got it because it was readily available, but would nto buy again. It does a poor job of creating lather, the shave was OK at best

Shave creams (Almond, Sandlewood, Greenbriar): Great scents but no lather and not much lubrication

Preshave Oil (Almond): This stuff burns my face!! I turn bright red and it burns: :blushing:

ASB (Sandlewood): Awesome, I love this stuff, and did buy more of it

-Andrew

Top Bottom