What's new

Why do I smile?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
As I was taking in the aroma and pouring a freshly brewed coffee from my new vacuum pot brewer I caught my reflection in the shiny pot and I noticed I was smiling quite large. I also smile when I get a gold medal shave.

Now in an effort to keep this clean, (obviously there are many other things that make us smile), why do such simple things bring such pleasure and what other low cost simple things put a smile on your face?

I have spent lots of money on things that never brought a smile to my face. As I get older I really wonder why I want a bigger boat, nicer car, etc., when such simple things are so fun. As I sit here alone, (not that I'm lonely, MBW is just at work), in my big house, I think it is time to downsize and simplify.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I smile when I get a pat on the back for a job well done or a compliment for my appearance ... two minutes for looking so good! I smile when I get to spend time with friends, and I sure as heck smile when I hook a fish or kit a perfect golf shot.

Most of all, I smile when I see the Young Lady in my life smiling at me ... because of me ... and I just wish I could smile that much too.

Oh, and I smile when I get a package of shaving stuff in the mail, of course!!

I will gladly take off your unsmiling hands the boat, fancy car, big house and all the money it took to buy all those things and oh so much more. THAT would make me smile.

I'd like to find out for myself if money really can't buy happiness, and if it can't, maybe I'll at least be able to rent it from time-to-time.

I hear you! Maybe it is something that comes with age, but downsizing and simplifying has been the most rewarding thing in my life. As a younger person I used to want to acquire... acquire.. acquire, I have learned that many f those acquisitions were more like jail bars. I dream of a simple life where I can appreciate each and every thing more, it seems I have taken much for granted over the years and learning what I have lost and regaining it has been the best thing in the world to me.

I ate out of my garden today.. with food I grew. This made me smile.....

Lately it's been my 1 month old daughter.
I get up pretty early in the morning, get showered, get dressed, etc... I look over to where my daughter is sleeping, and she is awake just watching me and smiling/laughing!!
Mommy is still asleep so it feels like an "Our Time" kinda thing.:cool: :cool:

...Oh, and the Pinaud Classic Vanilla that I tried for the first time this morning!!:biggrin:

Yeah, it seems like the hokey answer but my kids are the biggest smile-generators in my life. I'm normally a pretty grouchy person, and on any given day my mood swings wildly between mildly ticked off to completely enraged. But when I come home from my unfulfilling job, suffer through the hour-and-a-half to two hour commute home, and finally hit the front door and my 4-yr-old son and 2-yr-old daughter come running at me with shouts of "Daddy!" and lift their arms up so I can pick them up, then the darkness lifts and the smiles come.

Yeah, it seems like the hokey answer but my kids are the biggest smile-generators in my life. I'm normally a pretty grouchy person, and on any given day my mood swings wildly between mildly ticked off to completely enraged. But when I come home from my unfulfilling job, suffer through the hour-and-a-half to two hour commute home, and finally hit the front door and my 4-yr-old son and 2-yr-old daughter come running at me with shouts of "Daddy!" and lift their arms up so I can pick them up, then the darkness lifts and the smiles come.

I'm really looking forward to that:001_smile

Top Bottom