What's new

Remove the blade from a DE?

Hi
Do you remove the blade each time after the shaving with DE ?
or just wash the whole thing with hot water?
just wondering if keep it connected may cause rust

:confused1

Depends on how lazy I am. If I want to have a decent next shave I usually remove the blade wipe everything down and put the assembly back together.

I usually just loosen the head of my EJ DE89l, rinse thoroughly without removing the blade, shake it "dry", and allow to dry until the next shave with the head still loose to allow for better airflow. That works well for me, but 10 different people may give you 10 different answers. YMMV.

Cheers!

I stand by my post in that thread: I air dry my DE razors. I have some GEM Blue blades for my SE razors that I pour some 91% alcohol on to speed up drying to prevent rusting!

Stainless Steel is one of the greatest innovations for shaving IMHO.

Anyway, I change my blades after 3 times, then toothbrush w/dish detergent my razor, wipe razor dry,then air dry, then put in new blade ... works for me.

I loosen the razor slightly, give it a rinse with hot water, a quick shake, and let it air dry. I have tried removing it and drying it with alcohol, and have noticed no difference. But I only shave 2 or 3 times with the same blade.

Like clockwork of a finely tuned Swiss movement, Blade in blade out after every shave, done this for years, and some of the earlier razors still look pretty darn good.

All blades then stylishly fashioned into necklaces for ex Girlfriends that stalk.

Rinse, shake, then put on the shelf.

I would be more concerned about putting wear on the razor by opening and closing it every time than about blade longevity. Razor blades are still being made. Vintage razors are not. And I have no problems with blade longevity anyway using this procedure.

Like clockwork of a finely tuned Swiss movement, Blade in blade out after every shave, done this for years, and some of the earlier razors still look pretty darn good.

All blades then stylishly fashioned into necklaces for ex Girlfriends that stalk.

Just to clarify: Does this mean that you use a fresh blade with every shave or you keep the blade somewhere in between the several shaves you get from it?

-Greg

I just rinse and let air dry after each shave. The blade goes into the razor and stays put for 3-4 shaves. It has worked for me for close to 50 years.

I never use the same razor two days in a row so, since the blade's coming out anyway I take a few seconds to thoroughly dry the blade by placing it in a folded hand towel, then it goes into an airtight plastic container until the next morning. I even do this with injector blades.

Taking the blade out is done when a new blade is put in.

Messing around with a razor and blade all the time is just upping the odds that an accident will happen. Use your imagination, but after dropping an Old Type, I would rather just handle my gear as little as necessary. Plus, what's the first instinct you have when you do have something slip from your grasp?..... Tons of little nerves and tendons in them digits there to mess with I say.

I will, on my nicer razors only, dunk them in isopropyl with the blade in them between shaves. Otherwise I just take a blade out when it's dull to throw it away.

For modern double edge razor blades, in my humble opinion- All the wiping and stuff is dangerous and what you gain in drying you loose in removing special coatings like teflon.

I do take blades out and put them in different razors sometimes. I'm not 'Monk' and totally afraid of cutting myself or dropping my gear. I just don't see the gain from the extra time spent pampering a blade that is going to be replaced soon.

Top Bottom